Live in study Buddhism

Libertae

Reaction score
I have found a strong desire in myself to study Buddhism at a location that I can live in. Ive found it tough to find information about places that offer this in the USA without paying exorbitant fees. In many asian countries free lodging and meals in exchange for work, study and following rules is the norm.

Does anyone know of anything like this in the US?

I am looking forward to hearing about the experiences of other buddhist vagabonds.

Reactions: Kal

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I do not know but I do know that my niece in PA married a monk and are living somewhere's around the Williamsport PA area. She was always one who lived on the edge, rather like me, and reached out to amazing people and lived her life like how she wanted too.

Reactions: Naomi Leigh and Kal

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think it's as easy as just walking in...
But here is one example I've looked up. (in california.)

http://www.shastaabbey.org/about-becoming.html

This is the short description on becoming a monk.
Becoming a Monk
If you are beginning to think seriously about becoming a monk at Shasta Abbey, here is some information for you to consider. First of all, we use the term “monk” for both male and female monastics. This term implies leaving the household life, living in the monastery and ordination into the Buddhist priesthood. The vocation to be a monk is a lifetime commitment. All postulants and priests of the Order are celibate.

In order to begin the process of entering the monastic life, you must first be familiar with our practice, and you should have received the Precepts (usually at the Ten Precepts Retreat) and thereby become a lay Buddhist. You are asked to spend time in residence at the Abbey. At some point you should talk to the Novice Master about what you have in mind, what it means to be a monk, and what you need to do if this is what your wish. You will be told that to become a monk at Shasta Abbey means that you will be taking the Abbess as your Master, unless your taking another Master has been fully discussed and agreed upon.

Reactions: Kal

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I'm a Taoist, have been for years, with study in Buddhism, as well.

I too have had this exact same conversation with a friend of mine, who was a lay Buddhist minister for 15 years.

Here's what I was told. None of this is MY words...I'm repeating what I was told, by someone who lived it.

Here goes...

American Buddhists are nothing like Asian Buddhists...and "real Buddhists" (her words, NOT mine) i. e... Asian Buddhists actually from Asia, do not appreciate, look down upon and have no use for Western Buddhists, because of the perversion of Buddhism, in America, in particular.

They also do not trust Americans.

I asked my friend, the exact same question about why, people who are supposed to live a life of abject, but voluntary poverty, would charge exorbitant prices for the chance to live and study with them when they're supposed to be teaching enlightenment, not materialism and dead serious, my friend looked at me and said, "because Americans are superficial and if you think impressing people by following what you people have turned into a fad and trend - no, my friend was not American and we fostered free speech to each other - then they would be happy to take the money."

Just my .02 from a studier of all Eastern philosophy and someone who drove my Buddhist minister friend, NUTS, with my studies and questions.

;)

Good luck...

Reactions: Libertae

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads