Lets get this party started!

Reaction score
I am new to StP and just wanted some help and info. I am Planning on riding across the US from New Jersey to San Diego, With as many stops as possible visiting old friends and family along the way. I Have Never rode before and would like as much help as i can get before my planned departure date of sometime in the middle of march.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Whooo lofty goal! And welcome to STP ... we do have a bike touring subforum here where several of us have contributed a lot of good information. Training is a big thing for this kind of trip. Train with baggage on you and your bike. My brother trained for a meander but fast cross country with daily 50 mile plus trips from Rochester NY down and around Canandaigua Lake with his front and back panniers filled with our telephone books. (hehe he rocked, and hell no for me hehe). He was a little more hardcore than me. But yeah TRAIN for this. Also - be one with the bike. I mean I can fix stuff, but not everything. Yeah I carry a chain tool as well as parts ... do I know how to use it - no. But hey I have it. Food, prep, planning - line up your bike shops too and have your back planned in the background if you need $$ or parts mailed to you. Other - and I always post this - Sheldon Brown is still golden. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/bicycle.html

And have fun!! I do think there are a few who have posted here who planned on a bicycle tour this year. There are also groups out there that travel as well as many people who take off and tour via the many bicycle touring trails - my brother took off by himself and planned on solo but met up with a guy mid ways through the states and traveled with him for a while. Have fun!!

<edit> I may also move this to the bicycle subforum but for now intro is cool! :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads