Left home to travel

• Thread starter Deleted member 21957
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21957

Hi everybody,
My name is Susanne (18/f), I'm from Germany and left my home a couple of days ago with a little amount of money, so I could hitchhike to Spain. I try to freecamp, which is not that easy as a girl...I kinda got sick of society and the people around me telling me what to do with my life (school, job,...). I still think I have to get used to that kind of lifestyle. I don't know how long I'll be doing this. Actually I don't know what I'm doing at all.. I'd love to travel with somebody and if anyone has some good advice for me: please share and Thank you!

Dmac

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site! Hope you have a great trip.

D

Deleted member 14481

Wilkommen! As long as you have the basic starting stuff (I say just a pack and a sleeping bag, or tarp), everything else will be easy. Or not. Some people do fine traveling "naked". I'm not the type, but I can rightly assume it's easier on one's back, than carrying any size pack! What equipment are you starting out with?

D

Deleted member 21957

Wilkommen! As long as you have the basic starting stuff (I say just a pack and a sleeping bag, or tarp), everything else will be easy. Or not. Some people do fine traveling "naked". I'm not the type, but I can rightly assume it's easier on one's back, than carrying any size pack! What equipment are you starting out with?
Thank you so much! I bought a backpack and a bunch of other stuff before I left. I have a sleeping bag, a sleeping mat (hope that is the right word...), and a tent which is actually pretty heavy to carry so I think I have to figure something else out...

D

Deleted member 14481

Thank you so much! I bought a backpack and a bunch of other stuff before I left. I have a sleeping bag, a sleeping mat (hope that is the right word...), and a tent which is actually pretty heavy to carry so I think I have to figure something else out...

You have the right stuff. t can also be about how to arrange it for proper carry. A lot of people say a tent is heavy, but if you know you're going to need it, you should keep it. Different tents are also different weights and sizes.

Where are you putting your weight? How are you carrying the tent?

Dameon

Reaction score
A tarp is a lot more economical on weight than a tent. Hard to find places you can get away with setting up a tent. A tarp can be set up as a shelter just about anywhere, and if worse comes to worst, you can just roll up in it for maximum warmth and protection. If you're just under the stars, a tarp makes a nice groundcloth to lay on. It's just a much more flexible thing to carry that serves the same essential purpose, unless you're facing extreme weather.

Reactions: MolotovMocktail
D

Deleted member 20975

A tarp is a lot more economical on weight than a tent. Hard to find places you can get away with setting up a tent. A tarp can be set up as a shelter just about anywhere, and if worse comes to worst, you can just roll up in it for maximum warmth and protection. If you're just under the stars, a tarp makes a nice groundcloth to lay on. It's just a much more flexible thing to carry that serves the same essential purpose, unless you're facing extreme weather.
Get a good big ass tarp too imo, especially for the rolling up in it plan. Good luck, stay safe. This site is gold for travellers, most of the people amd posts seem to be in north america but some are in europe. Anyway, seek out good people and uae your gut and your boundaries to stay away from bad ones. I think as a new traveller learning from other travellers is key, everything else you will learn in the road, and also keep in contact with people and let them know where youre at. Cheers.

When i get m ass to europe again i wamt to start in Portugal and make my way from there :)

D

Deleted member 21957

You have the right stuff. t can also be about how to arrange it for proper carry. A lot of people say a tent is heavy, but if you know you're going to need it, you should keep it. Different tents are also different weights and sizes.

Where are you putting your weight? How are you carrying the tent?
I carry my tent in a hiking backpack together with my other stuff.

D

Deleted member 21957

Thank you, I think I'm gonna get a tarp now and sell my tent.

D

Deleted member 21957

Get a good big ass tarp too imo, especially for the rolling up in it plan. Good luck, stay safe. This site is gold for travellers, most of the people amd posts seem to be in north america but some are in europe. Anyway, seek out good people and uae your gut and your boundaries to stay away from bad ones. I think as a new traveller learning from other travellers is key, everything else you will learn in the road, and also keep in contact with people and let them know where youre at. Cheers.

When i get m ass to europe again i wamt to start in Portugal and make my way from there :)
Sounds pretty good and thanks for the tips!

D

Deleted member 14481

I carry my tent in a hiking backpack together with my other stuff.

That's great that you have room for it! Have you tried repositioning it to change where the weight distribution is?

Also, getting a large tarp,so previously suggested isn't a bad idea. But, it's all about doing what's right for you. People might not come in trying to justify keeping the tent if you've stated that it's too heavy for you, but I'm examine weight distribution options before ditching a tent.

D

Deleted member 20975

That's great that you have room for it! Have you tried repositioning it to change where the weight distribution is?

Also, getting a large tarp,so previously suggested isn't a bad idea. But, it's all about doing what's right for you. People might not come in trying to justify keeping the tent if you've stated that it's too heavy for you, but I'm examine weight distribution options before ditching a tent.
I personally like having a tent. Its lot more private and protective from the elements. But the space and weight it takes is way more than a tarp and some rope. So it all depends what kind of travelling youre doing. Tents are pretty fucking useless in cities for instance.

D

Deleted member 14481

I personally like having a tent. Its lot more private and protective from the elements. But the space and weight it takes is way more than a tarp and some rope. So it all depends what kind of travelling youre doing. Tents are pretty fucking useless in cities for instance.

I somewhat agree. If the city has a tent-city, it's not useless there.

Matthias

Reaction score
Hi this is weird but im in exact the same situation right now and i'll be leaving in a couple of days. Hitting the netherlands first to catch anarcho folk fest in amsterdam and afterwards hitch south (pass by la ZAD) and wherever. Just putting it out there...

D

Deleted member 21957

Hi this is weird but im in exact the same situation right now and i'll be leaving in a couple of days. Hitting the netherlands first to catch anarcho folk fest in amsterdam and afterwards hitch south (pass by la ZAD) and wherever. Just putting it out there...
Good luck out there!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads