Leaving the US without Passport. Any advice?

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Become an American Nationalist yo. Duck duck go that. The dictionary that can save your life. Search that too.

• Meh
Reactions: Matt Derrick

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Reactions: Colinleath

Nomadicinquiries

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
They're probably not going to look too hard coming in over a land boarder, but officially, yes you need a passport.

Sounds like you're coming in via sea though, so I just wanted to point out that I knew some folks that got their boat seized in Mexico because customs wasn't around when they got there (late at night) and went to go get some beer at the local convenience store. I'm pretty sure it took them something like 6+ years to get it back.

Woah...
As you have discoverd, you technically don't need permission to leave the US, but you do need permission to enter other countries, including their territorial waters. The reason countries check your passport when you leave (and to be clear - lots of countries do not check your passport when you leave) is either to "stamp you out" and make sure as a foreigner you didn't overstay your visa, or because they don't want to pay for the hassle of having to repatriate you when your destination country doesn't let you in because you didn't have the right paperwork. It's a viral system - as soon as one country enforces its borders, all of the ones around it have to as well, and then that domino effects around the rest of the world.

I am totally onboard with the idea of no borders, and i think passports and national citizenship are stupid, and i wish they didn't exist. But the reality is they do. There are very, very few countries that have real, actual open border policies. Most famously countries in the European Schengen zone are ones that do this. There are also some countries in Central America where you can cross the border without a passport check because there just isn't anyone there to do the passport check, but you're gonna end up in trouble if you later try to leave the country at an actually-manned border because you will be missing an entry stamp. And either way, you still can't present yourself as a citizen of nowhere. You need to show some kind of national citizenship so the other place knows where you are allowed to go next, or where to boot you back to given you're in their country illegally (from their perspective). Nobody wants you to become their problem just because you've decided you don't agree with the philosophy of citizenship.

On the flip side, it could be a lot worse. There are lots of countries where you need paperwork just to travel inside the same country. Notably China. And i don't just mean Hong Kong and Macau, which are both legally part of China, but they issue different passports and have entirely different immigration procedures. Even in the mainland you have to show identity paperwork to travel from one city to another. And if you want to buy property or get healthcare or send your kids to school in another city, you have to go through "immigration" to that new city, which can sometimes cost amounts completely unattainable for rural people. There are quite a few authoritarian countries that operate this way. The US is very far from a prison compared to these places.

But to be fair, even in relatively free countries, you often need to prove residence in one region or another just to be able to live an ordinary life. For instance in Canada you have to file for residence in a particular province in order to gain access to universal healthcare provided by that province. Even if you are a Canadian citizen, if you don't have formal residence in any particular province, you don't get the healthcare, because it's provincial, not federal. Lots of other services are the same. Germany has similar restrictions around public services provided by local jurisdictions, and i am sure other countries do too, including the US.

You could look at all this as some kind of big sinister plot to control people's lives... But in reality it's just bureaucracy. It's hard to govern a country of tens or hundreds of millions of people - let alone a planet of billions - so humans have generally moved toward the idea of splitting the world up into smaller regions that allow local people some degree of autonomy over the kind of society they want to build there. In order to maintain that society, some rules are put into place around what steps an outsider should take to become a part of it, and that's immigration. If as an individual you don't feel at home in the society you were born into, you have the choice to try to emigrate, but then you hit the bureaucracy that the other societies set up to protect their autonomy. This concept of national citizenship as recognized across different jurisdictions got invented to try to simplify all of this stuff, and while it works for most people (especially those who by luck of the draw were born in rich and prosperous countries), it sure makes life more difficult for travelers.

Trust me, i've lived in many countries and gone through immigration several times in the last decade alone. I am not a fan of this crap. It fucking sucks. It's not fun. It's not easy. It's stressful. It's expensive. It's a massive pain in the ass. Anyone who thinks immigrants are taking the easy way out is woefully misinformed. But... yeah... this is the shit we eat because we want to visit and contribute to new societies. Some of us do it multiple times, to one country and then the next. End of the day this is the way things are, and either you deal with it and see the world, or opt out of the bureaucracy and remain where you started.

Mmm...borders exist for a reason, but otherwise agree. That fake leftist "we don't need borders because I'm a hippie" nonsense. Dude borders exist for a reason lmao this aint whimsical fantasy land, or are you a globalist nut??

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Woah...

Mmm...borders exist for a reason, but otherwise agree. That fake leftist "we don't need borders because I'm a hippie" nonsense. Dude borders exist for a reason lmao this aint whimsical fantasy land, or are you a globalist nut??

One can be against the concept of borders without being a globalist. The latter in fact are attempting to turn the entire planet into one giant company store or prison from which there is no escape, which is the antithesis of anarchism. I suppose this dynamic lends credence to the horseshoe theory of politics, but the aims of the political theories are entirely opposed. Passports as they exist today are a tool of social control and a means of rendering human beings into inventory to be managed, to the furthered interests of the ruling class who take advantage of differences in labor costs between areas enclosed by arbitrary imaginary lines called borders. If the globalists get their way, passports or credentials similar to them won't be going away, but will instead expand into even more facets of existence, the end goal being complete micromanagement of individual human beings via a top-down hierarchy.

I'm all for people crossing borders without passports, and every bit as much so against globalists and their control freak agenda.

Nomadicinquiries

Banned
Reaction score
One can be against the concept of borders without being a globalist. The latter in fact are attempting to turn the entire planet into one giant company store or prison from which there is no escape, which is the antithesis of anarchism. I suppose this dynamic lends credence to the horseshoe theory of politics, but the aims of the political theories are entirely opposed. Passports as they exist today are a tool of social control and a means of rendering human beings into inventory to be managed, to the furthered interests of the ruling class who take advantage of differences in labor costs between areas enclosed by arbitrary imaginary lines called borders. If the globalists get their way, passports or credentials similar to them won't be going away, but will instead expand into even more facets of existence, the end goal being complete micromanagement of individual human beings via a top-down hierarchy.

I'm all for people crossing borders without passports, and every bit as much so against globalists and their control freak agenda.

I don't know where the answer lies, but it seems borders exist for a reason.
Different countries have different interests that must be safe guarded.
Infiltration and occupation are real threats in this day and era.
And they're not "imaginary lines". They're borders.
Basically so, you should also just take the locks off your door and anyone can come in whenever?

Actually I agree with alot of what you're saying. One might also say, should goods be allowed to cross borders, so should people.
I just don't know where the answer lies.
I guess it's just such a foreign concept to me to eliminate borders.
It will never happen though, borders will never ever be eliminated, humanity will cease to exist before they have an opportunity to work together.
Like you said, too much economic interest etc...
I understand your anarcho philosophy with regards to passports being a means of control.
We're a long samn ways from eliminating that though, too much division, and if it does occur, be real, it WILL be at the hands of the globalists.

• Meh
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Load my Benz in an autorack.

However, to keep things on topic I do not reccomend trying to cross the border illegally. The risk just isn't worth it.

Guy in the link got pulled off a train crossing the border.

Reactions: Nomadicinquiries

Nomadicinquiries

Banned
Reaction score

However, to keep things on topic I do not reccomend trying to cross the border illegally. The risk just isn't worth it.

Guy in the link got pulled off a train crossing the border.

I literally just crossed the border few days ago. I frequently go to Juarez, well annually I should say. It's easy to walk across with no passport.

Reactions: pcflvly

Nomadicinquiries

Banned
Reaction score

Guy in the link got pulled off a train crossing the border

I don't care, that dudes a dumb fuck too.
He must have thought borders don't exist, or maybe he could just "do away with them" lmfao.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I don't care, that dudes a dumb fuck too.
He must have thought borders don't exist, or maybe he could just "do away with them" lmfao.

Oooohkay, @Nomadicinquiries this is your last warning. Enough of the border talk, and there's no need to be calling people names in this context. Please understand you're in a community of anarchists, and borders really only exist to keep the powerful in power; you're not going to convince people otherwise, so just drop it.

Reactions: pcflvly

Nomadicinquiries

Banned
Reaction score
Oooohkay, @Nomadicinquiries this is your last warning. Enough of the border talk, and there's no need to be calling people names in this context. Please understand you're in a community of anarchists, and borders really only exist to keep the powerful in power; you're not going to convince people otherwise, so just drop it.

Ya no shit huh

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129-205249_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129-205249_Firefox.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Reactions: Nomadicinquiries

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Ya no shit huh

you know, we can see your edits. the 'stfu n****r' post was pretty obvious before you edited it to the above. so now you're banned. i hope you're proud of yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

nahhhdoggg

Reaction score
I am leaving in a month or so for parts unknown. First I'll sail parts of the Caribbean and the eastern coast of Mexico (MX). From there I'll start a circumnavigation. East-about or west-about, I am not sure yet.

I am pretty sure I don't need a passport for MX, but what will I encounter sailing the Pacific? Does anyone have any experience doing this without a passport?

How about current experience living without a passport in MX?
i highly advise you not to do this!!! when entering harbors for supplies the marinas will see your vessel and numbers also the flags on your vessel should be hung for customs. this can get you into a pretty nasty situation quickly especially in mexico. i appreciate the audacity! i just personally wouldn't recommend leaving to any country without a passport. the law doesn't take kindly to that and it could lead to a much bigger headache and ruin your plan. food for thought! safe travels

Marticus

Reaction score
It is better not to get news about Canada from right wing US sources, or indeed most Canadian newspapers which are now largely owned by right wing interests and well out of touch with mainstream opinion in Canada. Sadly the right wing narrative on Canada has been seeping into public opinion and now even some Canadians are repeating ill-informed US-centric talking points on their own country. That's the real change that I've seen happen in the past 10 years or so - an ideological shift in how people talk about the country thanks to the growing influence of right wing propagandists.

Canada has its issues, like many developed nations. In particular there is a very real housing crisis that is amongst the worst in the world. But it's a bit over the top to describe the current government as "nazi", especially in a world where we have countries that today are actually being run by nationalist
What Fox News, Breitbart, and the now majority US-owned Postmedia rags like National Post report: Canada is recommending euthanasia to veterans with PTSD! Socialized medicine is a disaster! Trudeau is Canada's Mao! Death panels! Waiting lists! Trans ideology! Bla bla bla.

What actually happened: due to right wing media hysteria, Veterans Affairs have launched an investigation into an incident where one of their employees discussed with one of their clients a legal and uncontroversial procedure that is explicitly designed to preserve a person's dignity and autonomy.

This is a perfect example how news in Canada gets twisted by conservative Americans and reported through the lens of their reactionary values instead of historically more progressive Canadian values. Sadly some right wing Canadians are happy to allow these foreign extremists to speak for them presumably because they see a benefit in cultivating the same kind of populist outrage that has proved politically useful in the US.

If you are interested in less sensationalist reporting on Canadian affairs i suggest The Walrus for New Yorker/Atlantic style long reads, Toronto Star for milquetoast centrist east coast reporting (similar to WaPo/NYT), Globe and Mail for real Canadian right-wing takes (similar to WSJ), or of course the CBC for PBS-style dry but explicitly inclusive stories. All actually Canadian owned and operated outlets. If you want angrier anarchist takes there is Submedia.
Ugh, this is depressing. The U.S. reactionary media is taking over Canadian news? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. The VA story sounds like a perfect example of how they twist one complicated incident into a vast sinister conspiracy by the “elites” to manufacture outrage.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads