2021 Jamboree Last minute location change, PLEASE READ

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2021 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
We just checked out the Salmon's sack hole. It's overrun with weekend warri
Did you drive up past the hole at all or just stopped there?

Honey Crust

Reaction score
Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
  • Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Jerrell

Reaction score
Did you drive up past the hole at all or just stopped there?
That whole area was blown up, so we didn't go much further. Weekdays will be totally different I'm sure.

Dameon

Reaction score
Basically anything within a two hour drive of Seattle will be blown up on the weekends, I can guarantee this. We can rely a lot on the midweek lull, and there are also a variety of forest service roads around the cascade mountains in national forest. We do have the option of basically going down one until we don't see people anymore and camping.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
in case anyone is curious, im flying out tomorrow and will be in seattle around 10am or so (aug 3rd). im taking a shuttle to cle elum to grab a vehicle and then i'm coming back the next day (aug 4th) to meet up with folks at jimi hendrix park at 1pm. so i'll have like 3-4 seats available.

Last edited:

PacificEgg

Reaction score
in case anyone is curious, im flying out tomorrow and will be in seattle around 10am or so (aug 3rd). im taking a shuttle to cle elum to grab a vehicle and then i'm coming back the next day (aug 4th) to meet up with folks at jimi hendrix park at 1pm. so i'll have like 3-4 seats available.
Have we said which part of Jimi Hendrix Park will be the meeting spot?

Jerrell

Reaction score
Checked out Salmon la sac or whatever it's called again today. It's day use or pay camp mostly.
The Kachess Lake spot next to where I'm camped (pretty much the first iOverlander spot) is spacious AF. It has an abandoned tent I've been rearranging a bit daily to look occupied.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, american airlines fucked me and cancelled my flight. i'm both pissed and bummed and not feeling great. wish i could be there, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out. sorry folks, i tried. i hope everyone has a good time and maybe the next one won't be such a shit show (logistically). post some pics and let me know what I missed out on. 😭😭😭

Jerrell

Reaction score
Ah damn. Can you do stand by? My friend got cancelled, but got a standby flight within 24hrs a couple wks ago. Thatwas Frontier tho. Also, American used to have deals with other airlines to find an open seat for customers going to the same destination.

Jerrell

Reaction score
Checked out Salmon la sac or whatever it's called again today. It's day use or pay camp mostly.
The Kachess Lake spot next to where I'm camped (pretty much the first iOverlander spot) is spacious AF. It has an abandoned tent I've been rearranging a bit daily to look occupied.
Forgot to mention no Verizon or AT&T at Salmon either. Lake is within walking distance here. We've swam every day.

Reactions: Honey Crust

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Ah damn. Can you do stand by? My friend got cancelled, but got a standby flight within 24hrs a couple wks ago. Thatwas Frontier tho. Also, American used to have deals with other airlines to find an open seat for customers going to the same destination.
apparently the storms here recently caused the austin airport to cancel over 500 flights, so its currently impossible to even reach american airlines. i'm being told the wait times are as long as 14 hours to reach an agent :(

Jerrell

Reaction score
apparently the storms here recently caused the austin airport to cancel over 500 flights, so its currently impossible to even reach american airlines. i'm being told the wait times are as long as 14 hours to reach an agent :(
Oooh storms. Damn. Was looking forward to seeing you. We'll always have Resida. 😁

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Storms. Damn. Was looking forward to seeing you. We'll always have Resida. 😁
Ha, yeah it stinks, this is going to be the first jambo I've ever missed and ive kinda always treated it like my birthday week since that is coming up just after, so double bummer.

Hopefully you all have a blast out there!

jimi

Reaction score
Oh shit that WAS you lol! Dameon and I went and scouted all the spots yesterday haha.

well, american airlines fucked me and cancelled my flight. i'm both pissed and bummed and not feeling great. wish i could be there, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out. sorry folks, i tried. i hope everyone has a good time and maybe the next one won't be such a shit show (logistically). post some pics and let me know what I missed out on. 😭😭😭
Nooooo holy shit that fucking suckssss big time! I'm so sorry dude! I was lookin forward to finally meeting you in person.

Jerrell

Reaction score
Oh shit that WAS you lol! Dameon and I went and scouted all the spots yesterday haha.
Yeah! Dameon said you scoped a spot with streams and such a little further west.
You weren't in a silver SUV were you?

Honey Crust

Reaction score
Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
Fuck that sucks, Matt! Real bummed you’re not gonna be there, I was lookin to finally meet you as well. Here’s hoping our paths cross soon!

Is the Kachess Lake spot the move then? That seems to be the one that this thread keeps coming back to, and walking distance to swimming sounds fucking heavenly to me 😇

jimi

Reaction score
Here is the official report back on all the sites Dameon and I checked out:

- Salmon La Sac:
Pretty crowded area but we COULD probably make it work if needed. It's the furthest from Seattle. No cell bars (verizon). A few pull offs along the road, only a couple with any privacy at all, but no water access in any of the spots we looked at.

- Kachess:
There are a number of spots where Jerrell mentioned. Spots are off a gravel road with some potholes but nothing too crazy, and the good spots are located along dirt roads with some roots and whatnot, but seems driveable even for smaller cars if you're careful. Lots of space to park off the road, plenty of shade, but most of the spots we looked at can be partially seen from the road.

Further up is only fancy houses and private property, and there are some campers set near the lower part of the road. One very large spot with a short walk over a rocky "wall" to the lake where Jarrell's tent is set up. Water looks fine to swim in, but would not rely on drinking it without a good filtering system.

I had 2 bars on my cell but did not test it.
Lots of fresh horse poop in all of the sites we checked including the lake spot, seems like a place people trail ride often. So folks with dogs would reallllly want to keep an eye on them. I know how horses/horse people can be. This might be my 2nd choice.

-Tinkham Road:
Very close to seattle. Road is gravel with a good number of potholes, but we drove in a mini cooper and made it just fine. We actually found quite a few really beautiful, private, shaded spots that would fit enough cars and people along the river. Several spots had different "areas", so if folks wanted they could still have a lot of privacy while still camping with the group. A lot of the spots have been left messy, and could use some cleanup.

The river isn't deep enough for swimming/floating, but is shallow enough in most places for wading and would safe for dogs and drunk people to play in. The water is very clear and cold, I would feel comfy drinking it with light filtration or even by itself.

Had 2 bars on cell. Untested.

There were a good number of people, but seemed like the type of people who will mind their own business. And still plenty of large, private, open spots that are not visible at all from the road.
Personally, this might be my first choice due to the shorter drive and my preference for running water.

---
So yeah, we definitely have plenty of options that will work out just fine. It was prettty smokey everywhere we went, hopefully it'll clear up a bit by tomorrow. Fires are banned at each place we checked. Everyone should remember to bring lotttts of water and some trash bags if they can.

jimi

Reaction score
Yeah! Dameon said you scoped a spot with streams and such a little further west.
You weren't in a silver SUV were you?
We were in a red mini cooper, but we parked along the road and walked into that site with the tent!

jimi

Reaction score
Posted this in the discord already but this is my suggestion:

Caravan to Tinkham, and park up at the head of the road. Send a scout car full of people down to find and pick a spot, and if they find one that works, one person holds the spot and the rest of the cars drive in.

If we don't find one we like, we head further east to Kachess Lake.

If we spend a night at Tinkham and decide we aren't feeling it or would like to change it up with some lake time, we can always pack up and head the rest of the way up to Kachess on Thursday or Friday as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads