kyaking

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I once considered just acquiring a canoe and traveling around in that. I figured the amount of supplies you could carry was worth burning up the calories paddling the damn thing. If you were traveling up and down a river that had a lot of resources it would probably be worth while. By resources I mean a river with good access to both rural and urban areas, lot's of navigatible tributaries, and some good sized Islands with zero population. Can you imagine that... a river island squat!

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
Can you imagine that... a river island squat!

i did that for around a month and a half. there are (in GA) a ton of rivers full of rescouces and little islands in the middle. i mainly stayed on one or two of those islands just because i didn't feel like blazing and making anymore campsites, plus those 2 islands were awesome. it's was about a 8-10 hour float into town depending on how high the river was and if they let the dam out up north. very, very cool though.

40 Hands

Reaction score
That sounds amazing! Ever since i saw Into the Wild ive thought about this very same question. Great idea, definitely going to have to try this someday :p

Nile

Reaction score
Id try to find/snatch some caulking, or some rubber strips to seal the whole thing up. Turpentine could work too, and you can find it in any industrial area. Any sort of fan blades could work, make sure you seal 2 together (duct tape) for a single oar if you can to make sure they dont bend or break. Great idea man, gotta try this out myself.

acrata4ever

Reaction score
yeah fanblades on a broomstick would work. i drew out a diagram and sent it to the red cross when lebanon was being bombed and they couldnt move supplies across a river. it was one of these a rope and two bicycle wheels. they never even wrote me back. a couple filipinos were interested after the floods there and posted it on their facebook. i gave the link to several people from new orleans and they werent interested at all.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads