korean immigrant queer, gonna live out of my car in 2024

fatberg

Reaction score
Hi yall,

I am a nonbinary Korean looking to live out of my car starting March 2024, so I can focus on my creative work which includes research of Korean postcolonial subcultures, writing a sapphic body horror story, and learning holographic art. I've been working at the local public library for the past few years, and it's provided me a stability that I never could have dreamed of. With the peace of mind this experience has blessed me with, I'd like to return to cultivating my adventurous nomadic bravery and explore my inner self.
I'm currently based in Baltimore, and have been considering Richmond or Philly as my first stops, but honestly, I'm open to any locations. I might also consider NYC so I can learn holography from a studio there.
I'll really be trying to work as little as possible, at flexible jobs like dishwashing or other part-time gigs.

I've camped out of my car for over a month before, and grew up as raggedy runaway teen in Seoul, but this lifestyle will be new to me. I'm open to general tips and very appreciative of this forum as a resource. I'm super open to new friends and community, especially if you are poc or trans:)

Also, does anyone know a friend who does holography? Not the lenticular or Pepper's Ghost type, but the laser stuff?

Last edited:

Sameer

Reaction score
Good luck to you! A cargo van would be more comfortable, especially if you are living in a vehicle in an urban setting. A car is a fine idea also if you are comfortable. I lived in a van for 12 years and traveled but not urban and did very well.

Sameer

Reaction score
PSX_20210427_151419.jpg

fatberg

Reaction score
Thanks for the best wishes! I have a Honda Pilot, which is not as comfy or private/safe as a van, but still spacious. If I decide after a year that this is how I wanna live permanently, I will def start looking into purchasing a cargo van.

Good luck to you! A cargo van would be more comfortable, especially if you are living in a vehicle in an urban setting. A car is a fine idea also if you are comfortable. I lived in a van for 12 years and traveled but not urban and did very well.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads