2017 Jamboree - Kendo Workshop and Tournament!! | Squat the Planet

2017 Jamboree Kendo Workshop and Tournament!!

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2017 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
What is kendo? Well, traditional kendo comes from the Japanese. It's the art of sword-fighting as a sport and consists of much discipline and years of training... but we're just going to use the bamboo kendo swords and whatever sword style you like to beat each other up, within certain parameters:

-Each set of matches will consist of two opponents
-Each set will consist of five matches
-If you get hit in a limb, you may no longer use it
-No face shots (helmets and gloves are optional and available)
-If you get hit in a critical place- like the heart, guts or spine- you lose the match.

I'll start by doing a basic workshop to give newbies an idea of the basics, like how to block, strike and move purposefully, and you will be able to practice on your own at any time; just ask to borrow a pair of kendo sticks and I will happily get them for you.

Meanwhile, you're encouraged to sign up for the tournament which will be held on probably the second or final day of the party. The winner of this auspicious event will be granted bragging rights for years, as well as a sweet prize- a pin which reads STP Kendo Champion 2017. You can wear it on your hat or shirt to declare it to the world!

This thread is where you may sign up for the tournament but if you decide later during the party that you would like to join, you can do so then. Don't be intimidated! Lots of newbs have a natural grasp of swordplay and to start off you will be paired with an opponent who is near your skill level.

Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Last edited:

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
So-
I have been given really great directional defense, by @EphemeralStick only but once..
if I entered into said competition, would I be able to receive another rundown??

Yes, like I said I'll do a workshop on day one so you can get a refresher course. You were one of those folks with a knack for swordplay, so I think you'll do just great after a little more training and practice!

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I will give out some extra prizes for outstanding performances that competitors and side-liners can vote on, so that way even if you're a beginner and have less of a shot at the title, you can still win stuff just for being awesome.

Reactions: beersalt

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
G0391709.JPG
I just received the tournament prize in the mail! It's the tiniest trophy ever, but that seemed to be fitting for a traveling community event, you can just throw this bad bitch on your hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads