Keep out dem snakes?

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
When Sleeping outside what is the best way to keep away bugs and snakes from your bed rolls? Or what kind of sleeping equipment should I get. I dont care so much about bugs as snakes. Always hated those buggers.

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
Also needs to be attached to a backpack. and transportable. not gonna hold me down or nothing.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I spend a ton of time in the southwest, sleeping on a tarp when I can't be assed to put a tent up. Dangerous critters are never so common as the locals make them seem. In four years of sleeping outside, I caught a snake near me ONCE while sleeping. It was a tiny texas brownsnake, which eat worms mainly. It got onto my tarp and freaked out, because it couldnt grip the plastic right. Pretty cute.

Centipedes, cockroaches, and earwigs seem to have less caution... but just zipping your bag up to your face makes a big difference. Less likely that anything will "just wander in" through your head hole into a confined space. Small creatures like to avoid getting crushed and shit, you know?

Raccoons are the real problem. Shit.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Actually, a big tarp makes a pretty good early warning system for critters near you, since stepping(or, if you happened to be a panicked snake, thrashing violently on it) on it makes a decently loud noise.

Reactions: Kal
D

Deleted member 20

I have been an advocate & have been suggesting goretex bivy saacks for as long as I have been on this site for there durability, being lightweight, waterproof (mostly) & wind resistant. I have also never woke up with any snakes, bugs or critters in my sleeping bag while using a bivy sack.

I think tarps are for great for shade & ground cloths for large camps & have their uses but are about the worst shelter option out there. I dont carry rope with me even though I am a huge fan of the Boondock Saints movies & I know how useful rope is. It baffles me that as many people still talk about tarps. I roll my US military woodland bivy sack & attach it to the top of my pack utilizing the straps & buckles to keep it secured on my pack. US military woodland goretex bivy sacks can be bought on craigslist & at online surplus stores if not localk ARmy/Navy stores for between $20-$50 without the rest of the sleep system & often you can find the whole system for about $50 seeing that they have been out for many, many years now & we have had military troops actively deployed into combat situations for just as long. This piece of field gear is invaluable regardless if I am riding exposed on the porch of a grainer, doing some stealth urban camping or out in the wilderness. I dont leave home without it.

Mongo

Reaction score
The worst you're probably going to have to worry about is going to be possums and raccoons trying to get into your bag. I've had one of each within a few minutes trying to sneak into my camp to steal food.

Be sure to shake out your shoes in the morning for whatever might seek refuge in them while you sleep.

Reactions: Kal

Leap

Reaction score
coons, possums, cats and coyotes are the biggest thing that will come up to you and try to take your shit. I usually just yell at em/throw things and they run off. unless I can hear that it's a pack of coyotes and then if I'm sleeping on the ground and not in a tent I make a fire and stay up for a few hours. Never had problems with them trying to tear down my tent, they usually just sniff around.

never really encountered snakes but that might be because I'm in canada. Mice are always sleeping under me between my tent and the ground but I never had a problem with them they just scurry away when I'm packing up in the morning. They can be annoyingly loud moving around under you when you're trying to sleep though.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin and Kal
D

Deleted member 9332

Ung, yeah the mice. In Oregon especially. So often I'd roll over them in the night and find squished mice with popped out eyeballs under me.
That is so fucked, oh my god. I would love to let em sleep under my tent though, so sweet even if they are a bit loud.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Under me being "under my tarp", but still pretty grisly. Related: this morning I woke up and watched a cockroach crawl out of my toothbrush bag. It paused on the edge of the bag, waggled it's antennae, and scurried into my pack. Then, I brushed my teeth. Gotta do what you gotta do.

-takes a bow-

D

Deleted member 9332

Under me being "under my tarp", but still pretty grisly. Related: this morning I woke up and watched a cockroach crawl out of my toothbrush bag. It paused on the edge of the bag, waggled it's antennae, and scurried into my pack. Then, I brushed my teeth. Gotta do what you gotta do.

-takes a bow-
ehh, cockroaches are probably some of the cleanest insects out there, some of them also make great pets! very interesting animals.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I had a snake roll up on me just the other morning. He seemed friendly enough although he scared the day lights outta me. I scared him as much as he did me as we looked at each other we both jumped. He then just slithered off into the brush. He was just lookin for a place to sunbathe I reckon. You shouldn't have to worry much about snakes at night though they're mostly active in the day.
For other critters keep food in a tree or high spot. Also pissing around your camp works if your a guy. I have recently had the most trouble with fire ants, gnats, and mosquitoes they'll eat the flesh right off yer bones here in GA. But again keep food away and cover up.
Also a tent maybe?

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Only the pissing in a circle if your a dude? Someone oughta show you the squat-shuffle. Or draw a diagram.

Make ya real grateful for your pecker.
Not trying to be sexist. But from what I hear it has something to do with the hormones in male piss that deter animals. Not quite sure about the ladies tho.

K

Kim Chee

image.jpg

...and other arachnids including scorpions and ticks are what I take seriously.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads