Kat, Looking to travel from MA ==> VA | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Kat, Looking to travel from MA ==> VA

D

Deleted member 26656

Yo @Travelisinvigorating OP clearly did some research on the lines and isn't wrong about the lines she wrote about

Also there is a train that goes from Worcester to NJ and wouldn't require switching in Selkirk
dude I don't believe that s*** I don't believe there is a train that runs from Worcester to New Jersey and if it did what route would it take???
Every train I have ever gotten on out of Worcester has always gone to Chicago or at least Syracuse.

croc

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191229-165512_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191229-165512_Chrome.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 248
D

Deleted member 20

Train travel is always a crap shoot. I have started out near Boston, got out to Worcester then gone west out of Worcester into Selkirk, then hopped east/southeast into NYC/NJ. Several trains, directions & hop outs. Alternatively I have also taken the chinatown bus many times to achieve the same trip for $15 in 5 hours from Boston. I guess it all depends on "if" I know "where" I am going or if I am just out wandering. For many the journey is in fact the destination but other times I know exactly where, when & why I am going somewhere specific.

I dunno about direct CSX to NJ. Even NS south towards Groton & the coast seems to terminate as much of the North/South coastal tracks are mostly commuter/amtrak.

If there is a southbound to NYC/NJ it may be on the PVD/WOR short line that could theoretically run south along the coast from WOR-PVD-CT & on into NYC. I heard there is such a weekly NYC run but unsure of anything beyond that. I cannot see such freight getting over to NJ.

I think it is all semantics anyway. Many of us who are bickering about specific trains & lines going here or there is just that. The reality is that there f there is a will, you will find a way. Often you will get lost & or find your way many hundreds of times before realizing that it is all just as productive. I second, third & or reaffirm that which has been said to the OP & all other greenhorns. Do your homework. Check the weather and plan to survive accordingly. The winter gear that is needed is expensive & heavy. Travel can be slow & miserable and not always the romantic version that we tell ourselves in our mind. I have long been a proponent of getting rideshares or taking busses to regions that are more conducive to winter traveling. I always advocate for common sense intermodal travel utilizing any & all available options where as some people will try to exclusively ride trains. We can wait days for our train or spend days riding trains in a roundabout way. The op is actually going to a predetermined place in Virginia where her uncle lives. I would suggest just taking multiple Chinatown busses. Bos-NYC, NYC-Norfolk, Richmond etc

It is all fine & dandy if you know how to not die and do not mind living on the edges of safety.

Attachments

• PW_detailed map.07.2019_v1.pdf
    512.2 KB · Views: 226
  • NSsystem-map.pdf
    30.1 MB · Views: 255
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26656

Hypothetically, okay okay well hypothetically, the way to do this trip obviously, not For a novice in the dead of the winter, but the only realistic way to do this trip would be to take a train to Selkirk and again like someone mentions a lot of the West bounced don't even stop there so then you would have to double back from Syracuse and then switch lines in Selkirk and go down the Hudson this is the only way I could possibly see doing this.
but again, this girl is a novice and frankly it's really not a good idea she should just take a bus as I'm sure we all can agree.
Not to mention it is the dead of winter.

croc

Reaction score
@Travelisinvigorating
Okay well it existed for sure as recently as 3 weeks ago. I'm honestly laughing so hard at u getting mad that a train u didn't know existed existing. Why aren't u happy there are new opportunities that u didn't know about? Why u gotta shit on this new person's interest in riding instead of wishing them well and being happy they're doing their research?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191229-170542_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20191229-170542_YouTube.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 221
D

Deleted member 26656

@Travelisinvigorating
Okay well it existed for sure as recently as 3 weeks ago. I'm honestly laughing so hard at u getting mad that a train u didn't know existed existing. Why aren't u happy there are new opportunities that u didn't know about? Why u gotta shit on this new person's interest in riding instead of wishing them well and being happy they're doing their research?
haha, because I hate trying to wait on specific trains that only run once a week.
dude you did the research she did not even know that there is a train that runs from Worcester to New Jersey bro she probably thinks there's a line that goes straight south from Worcester.
F*** you and f*** her you're both idiots

D

Deleted member 26656

@Travelisinvigorating
Why you got to be a stupid ass oogle that is not looking out for a novices best interest and advocating that she go ride trains for her first time in the dead of winter on some fictitious route that does not even exist???
YOU are the one who is not looking out for her best interest not me homie.
I'm a lot older than you I have ridden a hell of a lot more trains than you will ever ride in your life bro my dog has ridden more trains than you.

D

Deleted member 20

Not to mention as we all hash out routes to NJ. The OP is trying to get to Virginia and has never rode trains. Again its fucking Winter! Even if there was a more direct train to Virginia from Woo, it is doubtful that any greenhorn could differentiate it, catch out & or survive such a trip considering all of the variables that many of us, know.

D

Deleted member 20

Sorry @KitterKat if this thread spiraled into what it did. Do know that even though none of us know you. We have all been you, once upon a time. The emotions could have got out of control but do recognize the severity around such an undertaking, the subsequent timing & or season of such a request. I myself have stopped mentoring after an incident in Florida where I watched a girl get dragged, almost decapitated & her leg broke in 3 places. Her husband was there as we watched as she tried to hop on the fly. I naively thought that because I had been methodically instructing others as to the ways of the road that those being mentored would be capable and able to keep up safely. In hindsight, I was wrong & inconsiderate.

I hope that you see the genuine regard for your safety that has been expressed in this thread even by @Travelisinvigorating as he got banned by touching the proverbial thrid rail & letting his/her emotions cloud their common sense. Ones ability to survive anything is paramount while learning from all of our experiences; good, bad & indifferent. Please let us know how your travel plans evolve. For all we know, you bought a greyhound ticket & are happily in Virginia already.

If not consider
Worcester to South Station via MBTA Framingham/Worcester Line | Commuter Rail | MBTA - https://www.mbta.com/schedules/CR-Worcester/timetable
Lucky Star to NYC Boston, MA - New York, NY Bus Tickets - Lucky Star - https://www.luckystarbus.com/
Nyc to VA Chinatown Bus to New York, DC, Atlanta, and More - https://www.chinatown-bus.com/index.html
A whole itinerary that could deliver you safely to where ever in VA your going & all for under $100

Last edited:

KitterKat

Reaction score
I agree though unless you have some experience camping in the snow and freezing temps it's not the best time of year to try train hopping for the first time
Yeah, I've got some cold camping experience, MA has a lot of spots to go camping in winter and there aint much else to do round here
Train travel is always a crap shoot. I have started out near Boston, got out to Worcester then gone west out of Worcester into Selkirk, then hopped east/southeast into NYC/NJ. Several trains, directions & hop outs. Alternatively I have also taken the chinatown bus many times to achieve the same trip for $15 in 5 hours from Boston. I guess it all depends on "if" I know "where" I am going or if I am just out wandering. For many the journey is in fact the destination but other times I know exactly where, when & why I am going somewhere specific.

I dunno about direct CSX to NJ. Even NS south towards Groton & the coast seems to terminate as much of the North/South coastal tracks are mostly commuter/amtrak.

If there is a southbound to NYC/NJ it may be on the PVD/WOR short line that could theoretically run south along the coast from WOR-PVD-CT & on into NYC. I heard there is such a weekly NYC run but unsure of anything beyond that. I cannot see such freight getting over to NJ.

I think it is all semantics anyway. Many of us who are bickering about specific trains & lines going here or there is just that. The reality is that there f there is a will, you will find a way. Often you will get lost & or find your way many hundreds of times before realizing that it is all just as productive. I second, third & or reaffirm that which has been said to the OP & all other greenhorns. Do your homework. Check the weather and plan to survive accordingly. The winter gear that is needed is expensive & heavy. Travel can be slow & miserable and not always the romantic version that we tell ourselves in our mind. I have long been a proponent of getting rideshares or taking busses to regions that are more conducive to winter traveling. I always advocate for common sense intermodal travel utilizing any & all available options where as some people will try to exclusively ride trains. We can wait days for our train or spend days riding trains in a roundabout way. The op is actually going to a predetermined place in Virginia where her uncle lives. I would suggest just taking multiple Chinatown busses. Bos-NYC, NYC-Norfolk, Richmond etc

It is all fine & dandy if you know how to not die and do not mind living on the edges of safety.
Thank you so much for the tips! I'm comfortable with having to wing it and not worry about the specifics. If theres no railway, hitchiking it is. People have been reccomending the busses too and while those may be boring, it's good to know the ones in MA can get me pretty far and for cheap. CSX has a handful of shortlines I've been looking into that head southwest, and theres a public service schedule online for certain cities.

I'm aware I'm new, wont hide that, but I figured I'd join a community before to see different perspectives, and theyre all being taken to heart.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads