Just put me outside and let me wander around?

freerangelauren

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I somehow stumbled onto this site by watching train hopping videos and I've really enjoyed lurking around, looking at all the photos posted. I am literally thrilled to see them, as you guys give me a sense of adventure that I've wanted my entire life. My question to you is, how did you begin your travels? At what point, if any, did you say "fuck it" and walk out that door?

Coffin Dodger

Reaction score
I was sixteen my first time out, so it was an easy decision. I didn't have any ties at all. I still don't, really, no kids, no wife, no lease, no debt. But the transition between the bullshit mainstream and traveling gets harder and harder to make. Gettin' to the point where I gotta figure something relatively permanent out.
As far as how I began, I dropped out, started getting involved with the anti-war crowd, and it snowballed until the day I found myself by a rural route with an ALICE on my pack, and nothing but a few survival tools to my name.
I've still never owned a car, and just got a drivers license last year. Haha. Fuck it if I can't walk to it.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
in the words of one of the people who got me out on the road... "stick out jo thumb" ....it's not really that simple...but after you have the gear and the motivation and a little know how as to how to survive as a tramp...it is really that simple...you can dig up alot if not most of what you need to know just by diggin around the posts on here.........think of somewhere cool you'd like to see or somethin cool you wanna do and.................................................... about 6 years ago i called my boss and said i couldnt be to work the next day ...got in the capped back of this girl's pickup with a trashbag full of clothes and shit and left maryland for the west coast ...been out and about 5 of the last 6 years...luckily i had some freinds from home who'd been bummin around california to show me how to hold cardboard and eat trash hahaha............but yeah gogogo ....its not that hard.......in the words of some highschool kid in seattle "so you guys just like, travel all around and have fun all the time"...yup

Nate182010

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
Well for me I just graduated high school, and i was involved in the "punk scene" in denver for about 6 years. So, i always saw travelers at the shows, punk houses, and just around denver. I meet my first train hopper when I was 13 I became facinated and started reading about trains and their riders. Naturally i came across "on the road" and that itchy feet feeling just grow from there. Eventually I took my last pay chech bought gear and a bus ticket to chicago and went from there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads