I've officially left home

naive

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I feel like posting this is pointless but I also feel like doing it anyway, so... Hah.

I used my last few paychecks to buy some nice boots and a nice pack, and threw a bunch of my clothes in there. Also got a sleeping bag that looked like it came in a compression sack. It's actually just a really tiny sack with straps that might as well be for show, that the sleeping bag has no right fitting into. It's about a 20 minute process to cram it back in there, but since I can just sit and enjoy the early morning while I'm at it, its not that bad.

I got a tarp too, because everyone here swears by them. I'm pretty shit at using it myself and I still got rained on a bit while i slept, but I'm chalking that up to operator error and trying to figure it out.

My knee is giving me some trouble because I'm an idiot with no cash, and I've done a hell of a lot of walking in the last week without change to feed to the transit service. I stopped bothering to tally it at 30 miles, which was several days ago. I feel kind of proud of myself, since I'd always been a couch potato before this. The blisters are huge but fairly manageable.

I'm in Tacoma, which the internet told me was a legal bitch about panhandling, but I met a guy about five hours ago who said that changed recently, so I guess I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I spent 4 hours trying to hitch to Portland today with no luck, but apparently that's common? I've got, uh... the rest of my life, actually, although if I really can't get out of Tacoma in that time frame then I probably deserve it.

I've ditched half the clothes I initially packed already, and picked up twice as much hygiene products. Priorities, amirite. No truly funky smells yet, and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

Welp, this has been an unnecessarily long blog post. Just saying hi again, and that yes I went and did it.

naive

Reaction score
I scavenged 7 pairs of thick comfy socks from the unseen depths of my dresser, previously thought to contain only abandoned sex toys. They took up a ridiculous amount of space and I'm down to 4 pairs, but that seems like enough so far.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Yeah look after your feet and keep them clean. Don't carry too much. Sore feet makes everything so much harder and you can't buy a new back so look after it

Sounds like you're having a proper adventure.

I'm going to move this over to the travel stories section too as I think it will fit in there.

Art101

Reaction score
Flee Tacoma.Hitch a ride up to Seattle catch a train to Portland.Arggggh the aroma of Tacoma,but seriously I have never had good experiences in Tacoma.Hang in there and yes get more socks.

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Dmac

Reaction score
if you are having trouble with blisters, stop by a drug store and buy some "moleskin". you put it over the blisters or over hot spots (before blister forms). it WILL make a huge difference in how your feet feel. it is also pretty cheep and easy to pocket if you are short on cash. take the time to take care of your feet and you'll be happy you did.

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Sarong

Reaction score
I agree get out of Tacoma as fast as u can...I had a vehicle while there and sleeping in it was almost impossible. I pulled into walmart there and signs posted saying "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING" I fell asleep at Fred Meyer was trying get up before they close...I was awoken rudely by security asking me to leave. I was asked to move several other times in various places. Nothing worked. The city is not friendly to people sleeping in any kind of vehicle even campers and such parked in front of homes or even in driveways.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm going to move this over to the travel stories section too as I think it will fit in there.

i'm not really seeing how this is a travel story, so i'm moving it to introductions.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads