it's getting cold in here~

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
Sooo I am born n' raised in Canada and to be honest the furthest I've gone into the States has been Minneapolis. I don't know my way around and I fail at geography. I will do research before I leave of course but if anyone could point me in the right direction..
Where would be the best places to go that hover around +20C(google tells me that's 68F?) for the months of November-Feb. I want to work at farms, fruit pick..whatever I need to do to not be in Canada and not spend a billion dollars on stupid tourist vacations.

Advice and tips very much appreciated! Thank you~

Reactions: Kal and Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
how soon do you want to go there? we're having the stp jamboree get together thing in slab city, but that's on october 1st. otherwise, slab city is about 60F on the coldest days (december) and usually hotter than that on most days (70-75F) making it a great place to winter at. but, it's shit for work. it's easy to live for free or extremely cheap though.

if you're looking for work, its going to be kinda hard since you're not a citizen of the US, and there's not a lot going on in the under the table work world in a region that is warm for the winter (that i'm aware of, anyone else feel free to correct me). the best i can think of would be to go to new orleans. out of all the places i've lived, that's where i spent the most years working under the table and i made a lot of loot (bartending) as well. unless things have changed in the past few years since ive been there, there's always been a lot of under the table jobs there.

does canada use the term 'under the table' or is it like the uk 'cash in hand'?

Reactions: Kal

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem working under the table really but I more-so want to wwoof, work on farms in exchange for a place to sleep and some food. =) The issue with this is so far in the US most farms want you to work 6-8hours a day 5-6 days a week...and I mean for veggies and a room that's not really worth it, I'd like a bit more freedom. Thank you for your suggestions, I'm going to start reading into that and seeing if I can find some couches to stay on..mostly I think I'll be sleeping in a tent off the highway though haha ...I've always wanted to go to New Orleans =) Must be my teenage obsession with Anne Rice novels. hahaha

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
I'm not picky, as I said I'd do any of it. If I can't do one, I'll do the other and I'll make it work :p I want to work on farms because that's my future goal; to have a sustainable farm of my own, and I need the knowledge to get there. So why not learn while I travel? The issue is the amount of time the wwoofing places want in exchange for..not much. I'd do 3 days a week, 6-8 hours a day no problem. 5-6 days is way too much time.

Reactions: Kal and Mankini

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
Thank you =) my first choice was California and I've been constantly warned against going because of 'how expensive everything is there' ...honestly with the way the world is ..everything is expensive to me, I defiantly plan on making it there. Plus if I'm sleeping in a tent and smart with what I eat, who cares? Not like I want an apartment. (Also, I am reading up on climates and do research daily on places, I wanted to talk to people that have been there and done it, rather than some faceless online article)

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Miranda Cali is where its at!! It is my home and my heart. I grew up there and I'm here to tell ya Go to certain counties like Marin, Sonoma, Napa, or Mendocino and look on Craigslist gigs for day work. UTT. Pays decent. Lots of forests to camp in!!! <3

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Miranda Cali is where its at!! It is my home and my heart. I grew up there and I'm here to tell ya Go to certain counties like Marin, Sonoma, Napa, or Mendocino and look on Craigslist gigs for day work. UTT. Pays decent. Lots of forests to camp in!!! <3

just to clarify, miranda is a city in california?

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Just call me Lestat. I was in the French Quarter in 9/05. Scoped out the cemetere with Marie Laveau; no tourists; just Blackwater and Fedz on the streets plus an old man restaurateur who had holed up in his attic during the deluge. Apres Moi, Ma'amselle.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Just call me Lestat. I was in the French Quarter in 9/05. Scoped out the cemetere with Marie Laveau; no tourists; just Blackwater and Fedz on the streets plus an old man restaurateur who had holed up in his attic during the deluge. Apres Moi, Ma'amselle.
Oooooh I love anne rice [emoji12].

Kal

Reaction score
What ever you decide to do just have fun and be safe.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
I have no idea where you could get such jobs, but here's a quick tip: Don't forget to mention you're canadian when looking for a job. We tend to have a reputation of good workers. Probably internationally. Especially eastern canadians.

Reactions: Jaguwar

janktoaster

Reaction score
With this climate change shit, nowhere might be like that.. Florida had frost and below freezing temps last winter

RainyDaze

Reaction score
trim season in cali. I went for just trim but ended up working some farms and all type of random jobs. I'm considering going down myself since I don't start school until winter. One last hurrah!

Durp

Reaction score
So you want to be a farmer and want to learn the skills, but don't want to work for an education? Don't waste your time on farms I can tell you are not the type. Also by 6-8 hours 5-6 days a week, they usally mean 8-16 hours 5-6 days a week. Farming is hard work, and requires a lot of hustle, muscle, skill, and knowledge. If you are already complaining you will hate it. Also farmers typically hate yuppie suburb kids. Too entitled, with far too little work ethic or skill. I only work on farms for cash money, but I'm a real farm hand so I can do the work of 12 know nothings.

Reactions: Indi The 8

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
I have worked on an organic farm for 2 years now, and lived on one. Best to keep your comments to yourself til you know the person. I was not complaining ABOUT the work. I was saying what you get back for it is not worth the time put in. Two different things. I am a novice at travelling, not living off the land, as it's what I do now(without city water and on little power. I shower behind a tarp under a tree).
I want freedom as I travel and working up to 6 days a week stuck in one location, is not that. So take your bitchy, judgemental attitude somewhere dude, I'll have none of your shit. ::finger::

Also I don't give two shits what you do. I'm fine with getting food and a place to stay for my work. What you do is not the written law and you're an arrogant twat for even assuming so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaguwar and Odin

Durp

Reaction score
Haha cheers! I like you :) with that sort of attitude it will be real easy for you to make some bucks. Unfortunately you are swinging through as things are slowing down, but you can still make some cash shoveling horse shit all year round. The best method is to see a farm, walk up to the front door and ask if they need any chores done and more times then not if you are a strong person you end up with a couple days of work. Relax I was just bustin your balls, but you have the right fire for the road!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads