It's about time I do an introduction.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Hey StP,

So I've been avoiding introducing myself just because I didn't know what to say, but I've been on here for a bit and I think it's about time I write the damn thing haha

My name is Karen. I'm a suburban kid, yuppie, whatever you want to call me... I'm in college, have a job, doing what my family and society expects of me. I love animals. I have hobbies: painting, blowing glass, fishing, camping, playing piano, drums, and guitar. And I have this growing feeling that something is missing.

I've always wanted to travel by hitchhiking and train hopping, but never knew where to start. One day, I spotted a traveler on the side of the highway with his dog and I ask him where he's going. I picked him up, bought some lunch for the both of us and showed him around Florida in exchange for stories.

...And that's when I decided I'm going to start traveling by hitchhiking and train hopping. I want to feel free from all the materialistic clutter and the routine that's in my life. I want to wake up living in the moment and feel that my life and the bag on my back are the only things that I own. I want to truly feel grateful for the beautiful world that I live in that I have yet to see. Maybe I'm romanticizing, but I am still aware of all the things that traveling like this entails, the risks and "comfort" I'm sacrificing.

It's been almost a year now, I've done quite a bit of research and give rides to travelers whenever they pass by. I'm sick of reading, watching and hearing about it; I'm tired of people telling me I'm crazy and that I'll never be able to do it. I plan on traveling in the summer when I finish this year of school, because despite the fact that I hate school, I love what I'm studying and I love learning (about music and art). However, this summer, I want to do a different kind of learning.

So yeah, I signed up to make friends and familiarize myself with the community. I absolutely love this site (Thank you! @Matt Derrick). Hopefully, some of you guys are down to show me the ropes!

Last edited:

Landon

Reaction score
Welcome to Stp! I came from a situation similar to yours. I grew up in a white, suburban, middle class family, and I always had food on the table with a warm place to sleep, but I always wanted more out of life, something that would make me truly appreciate the beautiful world that we live in. I met an older traveler one day asking for leftovers, and I told him I'd give him a few bucks if he told me a story or two. The man fascinated me, and I've been hooked on the lifestyle since.

Reactions: kaichulita

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Welcome to Stp! I came from a situation similar to yours. I grew up in a white, suburban, middle class family, and I always had food on the table with a warm place to sleep, but I always wanted more out of life, something that would make me truly appreciate the beautiful world that we live in. I met an older traveler one day asking for leftovers, and I told him I'd give him a few bucks if he told me a story or two. The man fascinated me, and I've been hooked on the lifestyle since.

That's awesome! Hahah, I hope to do the same eventually. How long has it been?

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Hi!

I'm in college, have a job, doing what my family and society expects of me.
Quite the same here. Besides I'm a few years :rolleyes: older than you. Was studying at university, have a job, did what my family and society expects ...

I've always wanted to travel by hitchhiking and train hopping, but never knew where to start.
Not the same here. I didn't always want to do it. For more than one reason it came to me a few months ago. Too much to explain right now. ;)

I want to feel free from all the materialistic clutter and the routine that's in my life. I want to wake up living in the moment and feel that my life and the bag on my back are the only things that I own.
Yeah, feel the same.
I want to truly feel grateful for the beautiful world that I live in that I have yet to see. Maybe I'm romanticizing, but I am still aware of all the things that traveling like this entails, the risks and "comfort" I'm sacrificing.
Good. I also know that there will be shitty days. Days you'll feel like you should never ever consider what you're doing. But there is no real joy without real bad luck sometimes. My opinion.
So yeah, I signed up to make friends and familiarize myself with the community. I absolutely love this site (Thank you! @Matt Derrick). Hopefully, some of you guys are down to show me the ropes!
I second that, thanks Matt ... :)
I'm from Germany, just did my first trip to Netherlands, Belgium, England, Ireland, back to England and then back to Germany. Hopping from city to city, from hostel to hostel. By passenger train and coach, not hitchhiking and sleeping outside. But for my next trip I plan to do otherwise. (Spend too much money, but that's not the only reason.)
Was my first trip but it got me. I'll be back on the road as soon as possible and next time I'll hitchhike and find places to sleep very cheap or for free. That's the plan. :)

Safe travel ...

Cheers!

Reactions: kaichulita

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Hey, also sending kudos for picking up hitchers! We have some long days that are made by folks like you :D

See ya on the road someday, it's a small damn world. And pay not attention to the naysayers, they know not what they say. Really, anybody can do it with the right mindset :) In the words of Robert Earl Keen, "the road goes on forever, and the party never ends!" GOOD LUCK

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Hey, also sending kudos for picking up hitchers! We have some long days that are made by folks like you :D

See ya on the road someday, it's a small damn world. And pay not attention to the naysayers, they know not what they say. Really, anybody can do it with the right mindset :) In the words of Robert Earl Keen, "the road goes on forever, and the party never ends!" GOOD LUCK
Thanks a lot man! I love the support on this site. Everyone's got a lotta love and shares a common joy

Reactions: Anagor

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very nice intro! And glad you're staying getting that degree! You'll have fun soon!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@kaichulita they're kinda doing a different kind of travel, but i have some friends down in key west living on sailboats you should meet if you ever find yourself down there. let me know, i'll give them your info.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
@kaichulita they're kinda doing a different kind of travel, but i have some friends down in key west living on sailboats you should meet if you ever find yourself down there. let me know, i'll give them your info.

Yeah, I'd be down! I can drive down to key west any weekend... do you know where they plan on going or are they just floating around in the keys?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yeah, I'd be down! I can drive down to key west any weekend... do you know where they plan on going or are they just floating around in the keys?
90% of the time they're just hanging out on their boats fishing and drinking beer. I'm trying to convince them to move up to Nola tho.

Reactions: sucuri

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
90% of the time they're just hanging out on their boats fishing and drinking beer. I'm trying to convince them to move up to Nola tho.

Oh awesome, I love fishing. I would love to meet 'em! Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
90% of the time they're just hanging out on their boats fishing and drinking beer.

It's a sailor's life for me....::drinkingbuddy::

My aunt and uncle used to live on a sailboat in New Orleans. The sold it literally a few weeks before Hurricane Katrina hit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads