ISO short bus, going stir crazy...

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
I've got upwards of 2,000 bucks stashed away at this point. I've been searching high and low for a shorty, but everything that I find seems to be on the east coast. I know that the right bus is out there, I just have to find it. I've mostly been searching on Craigslist, govdeals, and ebay. Anyone have any other resources?
Or, on the other hand, is there any way to get a bus from the east coast over to Cali without having to take a very long road trip? I would just take a week or two to drive over and grab one, but I seem to have sold my soul to corporate Satan for about 5 days a week every week. Satan doesn't like road trips.

Parker Free

Reaction score
Website
coffeewitholiver.com
Have you put in your own ad in CL? What you are looking for, as opposed to looking at what other people have posted? It's very possible that the perfect shorty is right next door, but they don't know someone wants what they've got. It's worked for friends of mine....

that one guy

Playful asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Dude, my boss just bought a 40' prison bus made by blue bird for $1700 - yes, a 40 foot diesel pusher for just under 2K
He got it from an equipment auction in vallejo, unfortunately he's done what he wanted to, and thus has no reason to return, perhaps you could find a way to weasel your way into the heart of someone else like him - I believe it is not available to the public or something.
This is it http://www.1stcapitolauction.com

K

Kim Chee

Be patient, continue to amass cashish and the right deal will surface.

Congratulations on being able to save as much as you have so far:)

that one guy

Playful asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry but if that is really a 3.0 its a V6 and is greatly underpowered, unless its got gearsplit rear end it will end up somewhere with a blown engine, those chevy TBIV6's were notorious for popping under high rev/heavy load/hills.
You couldn't pay me 3k to take it.

Reactions: Odin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Be patient, continue to amass cashish and the right deal will surface.

patience is definitely key. the best deal will come along eventually.

I've been searching high and low for a shorty

have you considered a shorty bus/metro van? personally, i'm about 90% sure this is going to be my next vehicle:

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=867&acctid=1130

this one is from austin, texas (where i'm at) and is currently 1,400 bucks. i think this style of vehicle is the best compromise between size and gas mileage, and i really dig the wide open windows. i'm not exactly sure what you would call these kinds of vehicles but if there's a specific name for them, i'd try searching govdeals for that.

Or, on the other hand, is there any way to get a bus from the east coast over to Cali without having to take a very long road trip?

the only way to do this would be uship.com. but it's going to be extremely expensive (probably at least half of what you spent on the vehicle in the first place). the other alternative would be to maybe find someone (from stp?) that would be willing to drive the vehicle to you.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
  • Useful
Reactions: Parker Free

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
@that one guy, that website is a sweet resource! Thank you for kicking it down to me. I will be keeping my eye on it.

@Matt Derrick, I would definitely take one of those. I like the school bus aesthetic a little better, but I am far from against a metro type of deal. Congrats on the find! It sounds like a fantastic deal. I hope you have many adventures aboard such a fine specimen :) I've also been searching the bus section of govdeals quite extensively. Just not finding much on the West Coast, yet.

I will keep rooting around and sniffing stuff up. I'll do all that I can not to go postal in the mean time. Patience will pay off! Thanks, everyone :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads