Is there any groups out there, that live deep in the wilderness?

Down and Out

-Dank- Down and Out press
Banned
Reaction score
Website
downandoutpress.org
Hmmm yeah id say 90% of anti tech groups that live in the woods are also religious extremists or have a bunch of weird rules. In terms of just moving to the woods and living off grid the forest service will pay you good money to sit around in the woods and make trails and youll be with alot of like minded people who arent very tech savy.

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
Is there any groups out there, that live deep in the wilderness? Or basically camp year around? Or live a more primative life style?

They're definitely out there in various locations around the world. You could also just get yourself to the amazon rain forest or the mountains of Morocco or Romania and live the life of the locals there.

Look up wild roots near Asheville, NC, though for a US example that used to have a web presence. Seems like they don't any more.

There are wilderness schools in the west which have or used to have groups of people going out in wilderness areas to survive off their skills. I would think Tom Elpel would know of these.

There's a European who is going to Chile in the fall who plans to do what you describe. See my post history where I respond to him.

If you can reach the stillwater sanctuary (scroll down) in La Plata, Missouri, they should have some leads as well. Only reachable by a landline phone and they live near an Amish community. No idea what they're up to/ if they still exist. Ic.org is another place to look.

Good luck!

Last edited:

texastraveler

Reaction score
I agree with Down & Out, you're better off getting into trail work/forestry/firefighting. The right job will give you housing on site (though its often seasonal work). After spiking out for 2 weeks you may reconsider wanting to live that way full time. You could also check out www.ic.org

Dig around the forums some, I remember seeing a few years ago a thread about just this thing, by a guy claiming to live that way

A stint volunteering with Americorps might be a good way to dip your toes into that water, when I was in we camped out in the wilderness where we worked for a week or 2, then had that much time off to go explore.

I've met bikers who travel around the country, mostly going to shows and gatherings and the like. You'll find a lot of people like that in Quartzite during the big rock show if you're ever around

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I love this thread. I REALLY wish there was a commune I could join, but many seem like religious cults, or I get hinky vibes from them reading their descriptions.

I'd LOVE to start a commune. May start out small one day and go from there.

hedgehoggey

Reaction score
Was about to ask similar question, but in europe. If anyone knows anything not in the US let me know.

There are quite a few forest squats in Germany. You are very much welcome to stay at one; they want as many people as they can get, since they are squatting in the treetops to prevent big corps from destroying nature. Let me know when/where you plan to visit xx

Reactions: dissociatecrab

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
Was about to ask similar question, but in europe. If anyone knows anything not in the US let me know.

Squat.net and gen.org ic.org. I actually think there are more in Europe. Though usually old buildings in various levels of decrepitude are involved.

Navapalos.org is one I got to stay at last summer. There's an issue with parts of Spain becoming depopulated and Soria is one of them. Lots of abandoned buildings. Teruel is the other province with the greatest population loss.

klaaayyyy

Reaction score
I love this thread. I REALLY wish there was a commune I could join, but many seem like religious cults, or I get hinky vibes from them reading their descriptions.

I'd LOVE to start a commune. May start out small one day and go from there.

There are a lot of collectives in southern Arizona, mostly doing homesteading, that I hopped around and never got the religious vibes from.

Reactions: dissociatecrab

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
Here's a list of communities in Spain someone compiled.

The actual links got lost but web searches find allot of them.

And here's a link to and article about a region in France where people are living close to the land (and there are quite a few other locations in France where this is the case too like La Zad and the mountains WNW of Avignon).

About the British teenager who recently walked away from back to the land living near Quillan, France (BBC).

ECOALDEAS ESPAÑA/
SPAIN ECOVILLAGES

ANDALUCÍA

Almería

- Cortijo Los Baños Al-Hamam [ Facebook ]

- Los Molinos De Bornos [ Facebook ]

- Los Molinos De Rio Aguas

Cádiz

- Molino De Guadalmesi [ Facebook ]

Granada

- El Valle De Sensaciones [ Facebook ]

- Beneficio (Rainbow)

Huelva

- El Calabacino [ Facebook ]

Málaga

- Vega De Los Ríos

Sevilla

- Los Portales

ARAGON

Huesca

- Aineto

- Aguinaliu

- Artosilla

- Sieso De Jaca

- Ibort

Zaragoza

- La Casta

- Flores De Vida

CASTILLA LA MANCHA

Guadalajara

- Fraguas

CASTILLA Y LEÓN

Ávila

- El Valle Despierta En Tierra De Pinares

León

- Matavenero [ Facebook ]

- Poibueno

Soria

- Navapalos [ Facebook ]

- Torlengua [ Facebook ]

- Armejun

- Villarijo

- La Cuesta

Zamora

- Sanabria – Carballeda

CATALUÑA

Girona

- Arcadia

- La Base

- Kanawen [ Facebook ]

Tarragona

- Pinaroli

- Permacultura Montsant

GALICIA

La Coruña

- Xestas

Lugo

- O'Couso

- Terranova

- Tanguian

Pontevedra

- As Chozas

Orense

- Tronceda

ISLAS BALEARES

Ibiza

- Falconblanco

ISLAS CANARIAS

La Gomera

- Argayall

La Palma

- GaiaTasiri

MADRID

- Valdepielagos

- Navalquejigo [ Facebook ]

MURCIA

- Jardines De Acuario

- San Joy [ Facebook ]

NAVARRA

- Lakabe

- Uli-Alto

- Rala

- Arterra Bizimodu

VALENCIA

Valencia

- Barchel

- Las Fuentecicas

- Shakti

- Olla

- Kausay

- Samara

- Granja L' Ombría

- Hakuna Matata

Alicante

- La Garrofera

- Permacultura Laguar

Castellón

- La Artejuela

pcflvly

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
I'm at the end of the road far out in the desert, southern Arizona, and it's pretty much wilderness from here, miles and miles of it. I live in an old dead bus, keep a month or two of food on hand, and when I do go to town it's on a bicycle. 35 miles round trip to Walmart. Although there's water and electricity, that doesn't keep the wildlife away. I came home to cougar tracks today. Coyotes, javelina, and packrats too. When I moved into the bus there was a skunk in it. Beautiful creature. Anyway, there are other people out here too, old hippies mostly but you won't ever see them because they're hermits like me. I'm good with the solitude but also open to some backpacking into the wilderness if anyone makes it down this way.

japanarchist

Reaction score
There are a lot of collectives in southern Arizona, mostly doing homesteading, that I hopped around and never got the religious vibes from.

Anyones you recommend checking out? I’ve been thinking of visiting Sedona AZ, I’ve heard good things about it. I’d love to find a cool collective there or nearby.

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
This guy is not a collective, but might have contacts.

I did work trade for him in NC back in 2003--

He's a good guy.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads