is it easy to get back to a normal life?

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Well the long and the short of it is,

I'm 45 now, started off fairly well off. Ended up on the streets with nothing at 14. Rode trains, traveled, lived outdoors. Followed the Grateful Dead for a while. Made a shit load of money, bought a house for cash. Walked away from it 3 years later with just my pack on. Spent a few more years on the road. Made some more good money. Lived in NYC. Went back to San Francisco and became a street junkie for a while. Went to prison. Went to Tucson, got drug back to CA off and on for 10 years. Finally got clear of them.

Met my wife in Tucson 8 years ago. When we first got together we were sleeping in a ditch. Now we have a nice house. Flat panel TV. Stereo, couple of laptops. Two kids, a dog and a cat. A king size bed. And my wife's enrolled in Classes studying Linguistic Anthropology.

You can do anything you want, but I will say this. From the life style I've led I'm suffering from lots of health issues now. But then again, do I have more health issues than somebody who worked in a steel mill all their life? I don't know. I did get a trade in my early 20's so when I wanted to make legal money I could. But when I was released from Prison I wouldn't enter a building for 6 months. My friends would have to go get me coffee in the AM at Circle K.

Never was that much into alcohol. I shot smack.

Still enjoy getting out on the road every now and then, but to be honest, the way I like to do it now is in a converted diesel coach. That's what we're chasing now.

So what can I say? If you want to fit in you can. If you don't you won't. Whatever. Whatever it is you're chasing you have to REALLY WANT IT to make it happen.

I will say this about getting back into "indoors". We did a lot of research to get to where we are, and it's pretty fucking comfortable. If something breaks we just pick up the phone and someone comes and fixes it. They even mow the front yard, I just have to do the back. And I don't have to lock up my kids bikes. There's a 250,000 dollar playground for them right around the corner, and the beer store is a 2 minute drive. And New Mexico has Medical Marijuana, So life is good.

Take that as whatever

Logan

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
It depends on your situation. everyones situation is different. not everyone has a job to fall back on.... some do. some people have no place to stay no address means no I.D card. No I.D card means no job. etc etc. someone might not help you while another traveler on this sight has a friend to help em. someone may not have an email or interent access to fill out that shitty online application. its all different for eryone.

intoxnito

Reaction score
i flip in & out,i can tolerate a normal life 4 bout 1&half to 2yrs b4 the motony,wanderlust or cabin fever sets in&i start feeling trapped,angry,then depressed&b4 i just say screw u guys,im going home&i know my real home doesnt have 4 walls.even during the moments i am lying to myself&content paying rent&goin to work,bla,blah.in my heart i know im wild animal in a cage.

Reactions: iamwhatiam

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads