Introducing myself, as it were. | Squat the Planet

Introducing myself, as it were.

chefpunk

Reaction score
Hello, i'm Chefpunk. I grew up in a small town that was very traveleer friendly, met lots of crusties in highschool and fell in love with the world of it. Though i've never hopped a train, Ive hitchhied a bit and been homeless a few times in a few states. Right now im about to be homeless in NYC. Planning on renting a storage unit for my shit tomorrow and staying on the subway. Not really looking to leave the city right now but hey who knows. Essentially been lurking the board for years and looking to interact with yall more deeply, as I see you folk as kindred spirits.

Reactions: SammyG and Anagor

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
If NYC is how you wanna roll I won't stop you, but I'll warn you that place is really intense to be homeless in. Just even as a traveler rolling through I needed to GET OUT very soon after I showed up. New York has a lot of awesome places, but NYC is expensive, crazy, and the weather can be rough. Good for making money though. Let us know how that goes.

tacopirate

Reaction score
Ola! How is being homeless in NYC? I've been through there a few times but always stayed in Jersey. That's a rough place as well. How does living on the subway work for you?

chefpunk

Reaction score
ive spent roughly 18 months in nyc, the last three of which i was couchsurfing. Im all too aware of the costs but my passion in life is cooking and this is the place to follow it. my first night was ok, you have to wake up every two hours to switch back to the train going the other direction. I may end up just renting a room in the bronx, but this works for now. My job has agreed to let me store my pack there, so thats a huge load off, as it were

chefpunk

Reaction score
as far as generally being homeless here i cant imagine a better place. All the trash you can eat, spanging for days. Winter isnt as hard as it seems as everyone understands how rough it is, you tend to get left alone if you sleep on the streets. Once i woke up at 3pm on the floor of the columbus circle station. nobody had bothered or even attempted to wake me

kecleon

Reaction score
What kind of food do you do? You got any good travel friendly easy recipes? I wish I knew someone who enjoyed cooking / baking / making any other type of food and was good at it.

chefpunk

Reaction score
What kind of food do you do? You got any good travel friendly easy recipes? I wish I knew someone who enjoyed cooking / baking / making any other type of food and was good at it.
Right now I do Indian food, mainly making naan in a tandoor oven. I've spent time making pizza,doing italian, Vietnamese, turkish, Mexican, American, bar/grill shut, French fine dining. Ill see if I can come up with some suitable road worthy recipes. My cooking prowess is one of the things a lot of my friends respects and usually why they stop giving me shit about working all the time after they've eaten my food. I would totally also be down to cook for folks on the forum if they come through while I'm here in the city. After like four nights on the train I started crashing on another friends couch because she felt bad and argued with me about it and I wasn't about to argue for staying out in the cold when there was offer of a suitable couch. My welcome runs out here Thursday so well see what happens. If anyone knows anything about it, I'm also interested in trying to just live on a boat in an nyc harbor. Don't know shit about it. But charmander if you let me know your dietary restrictions and cooking gear ill give you solid food advice for your situation. It would be grand to let the one thing know something about propagate among the stp community

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
welcome to StP my advice, is that you should get out of the big city, hop on a train, or stick the thumb out. head into the country, its a great space to clear ones head, and just enjoy life and be free. either way, be safe, and smile every day.

kecleon

Reaction score
@chefpunk sounds dope.. dietary I'm vegan an right now I've got access to most all normal cooking stuff except an oven or microwave. You think I could make naan bread in a frying pan? Or in foil in the coals of a fire? I love those things

chefpunk

Reaction score
@chefpunk sounds dope.. dietary I'm vegan an right now I've got access to most all normal cooking stuff except an oven or microwave. You think I could make naan bread in a frying pan? Or in foil in the coals of a fire? I love those things
You can totally make naan over foil in a fire or on a frying pan. Give me until around this time tomorrow night and ill throw you a recipe and instructions. Too drunk too do it right now

Reactions: kecleon

chefpunk

Reaction score
welcome to StP my advice, is that you should get out of the big city, hop on a train, or stick the thumb out. head into the country, its a great space to clear ones head, and just enjoy life and be free. either way, be safe, and smile every day.
I've thought about it alot. My main travel now is to hop trains down to Miami and from there try to find a way to puerto Rico. I have no idea how I would go about catching out in nyc though

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads