Introducing myself a crusty traveller | Squat the Planet

Introducing myself a crusty traveller

Chonkthebonk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve been lurking this site for years and finally starting to post a little bit as I’ve had some time to do some proper writing.
My names Charlie, and I’ve spent almost 3 years trying to go around the world without flying. I’m far from rich so have been hustling, hitching, and generally living for as free as possible on the way.
I’ve hitchhiked across America, lived in jungle communities, and bussed through all of Central America.
I love the crusty life.
Anyway, hey y’all!

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Nice, welcome to the community (officially)! I'm curious, have you crossed any oceans without flying?

Chonkthebonk

Reaction score
Nice, welcome to the community (officially)! I'm curious, have you crossed any oceans without flying?
Thanks Matt. I’ve crossed the Atlantic but am yet to make it across the Pacific (which is the real challenge).
I managed to get a 15 day cruise ship across the Atlantic for £400 (about £50 more than a flight would be with all meals, accommodation, and entertainment for free. Wow, I ate so much food).
Ive since learnt, however, that cruise ships are awful for the environment so am hoping to work my way over the Pacific on a sailboat. I had this all set up but then the virus hit so everything got cancelled and I missed the window. Hopefully next year...

Reactions: croc

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I had this all set up but then the virus hit so everything got cancelled and I missed the window. Hopefully next year...

i feel you on that! hoping this all blows over before my trip to australia in november.

sounds like you have some interesting travel stories, if you have some time, you should post some here! we eat that shit up, especially if you have pics :p

Chonkthebonk

Reaction score
i feel you on that! hoping this all blows over before my trip to australia in november.

sounds like you have some interesting travel stories, if you have some time, you should post some here! we eat that shit up, especially if you have pics :p
I’m doing my best to write some of them up at the moment. It’s strange looking back at times when I was so different to now.
I just finished a piece about my time hitching through Oregon, and have a few others up on medium if you’re interested -https://link.medium.com/AGdtoo4ne5

MFB

Reaction score
Nice dood! :) Ometepe is BIG doe!
Did you get to climb Conception? Amazing up there.
I really like Ometepe aesthetically, it is like nowhere else, seeing it from the boat ride over was amazing, but when I was there it was too packed with white doods wearing "today is a volcano day" tanks to feel much like Nica.

I though Leon was a really beautiful city and fell in love with it. and had a blast playing in the Caynons around Esteli. I stayed w a dood from couchsurfing in Masaya and he took me to the rim of Volcan Masaya and I got to look into its mouth and see the lava churning and bubbling. (Ill try to find pics) Once in a life time. A night or two later we got drunk, passed out and I woke up w him sucking me off. The first and only time I've been date raped. Still left him a good review on couchsurfing though.

My fave country was El Sal. So much to do and still not much of a destination for travellers so it had a more authentic feel.

Chonkthebonk

Reaction score
Nice dood! :) Ometepe is BIG doe!
Did you get to climb Conception? Amazing up there.
I really like Ometepe aesthetically, it is like nowhere else, seeing it from the boat ride over was amazing, but when I was there it was too packed with white doods wearing "today is a volcano day" tanks to feel much like Nica.

I though Leon was a really beautiful city and fell in love with it. and had a blast playing in the Caynons around Esteli. I stayed w a dood from couchsurfing in Masaya and he took me to the rim of Volcan Masaya and I got to look into its mouth and see the lava churning and bubbling. (Ill try to find pics) Once in a life time. A night or two later we got drunk, passed out and I woke up w him sucking me off. The first and only time I've been date raped. Still left him a good review on couchsurfing though.

My fave country was El Sal. So much to do and still not much of a destination for travellers so it had a more authentic feel.

Yea there’s definitely a lot of tourism there for sure. I went to go to a gathering there at zipolite which was a special place. Definitely not ‘the real’ Nicaragua but living in a jungle with free Yoga, I only spent $150 in 3 weeks. It was nice for me. And wow yes conception was beautiful.
Guatamela’s a lovely country too, trekked up a volcano there and you can see the volcano next to it exploding every 10 minutes or so. Seeing lava is something else.
lol I like how you still gave him a good review, that’s hilarious. I’ve actually never used couch surfing , should really get on that though.
I've never been to El Sal, dont know too much about it too, what’s the scene like there?

MFB

Reaction score
Cool man! Yoga in the jungle is amazing! Howler Monkeys!

You did Acatenango in Guatamala I bet...from Antigua?. Amazing, well done sir!
Funny, I met a travel bud while I was doing CA, we'd meet up as we both did N to S, he was from Brighton, and talked shit on Brighton a lot.

Couchsurfing is a good recource to have, though I mostly have it to host and help out other travellers when I can. It's a pain to stay with people.
You wouldn't give a good review to someone that gave ya a BJ?!?! ;)

Lastly, El Sal is great outside of the cities. It's small, so you can be at 3,000 feet in the jungle and then at the beach in the same day. but a lot of really cool towns (sochitoto, Jayuaua, Alegria) with natural beauty, waterfalls, jungle, beaches, cliffs. The infrastructure is really good (comparitively) and hasnt quite been discovered by the backpacker crowd so it feels really authentic.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads