Intro + Rant

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick intro and a little rant.

I'm Noah. I'm 18 and I'm in high school in Seattle. I'm really into DIY and making stuff, especially electronics and street art. I'm finishing school in January and I'm hoping to travel after that.

I know I sound like a typical privileged kid who wants to travel because it's trendy or whatever. To be perfectly honest, my family does pretty well and I could probably stay put and go on to college if I wanted to. I know that coming from a background like this and choosing the travelling life pisses a lot of people off. I get it. I know that many people don't have the option of going back home to a bed if they wanted to and that the idea of someone not taking advantage of that might piss them off.

I also know that there are a lot of kids like me who want to travel but end up being annoying, irresponsible, and stupid. For these reasons, I expect that I'll encounter some hostility from travelers who will assume that I'm a snobby little shit because I haven't been through the same shit they have (which is not to say that I haven't had difficulties in my life, they're just different problems). While people get these ideas based off of meeting a lot of kids like that, I think it's as stupid to hate a traveler because they came from a well-off background as it is for someone else to hate a classmate or coworker because they came from a poorer background. We can't control the situation we were born into, but we do have control over how we act now. I will be traveling but I'm not expecting other people to take responsibility for me or feel like I'm owed anything. I'm hoping that people I meet will be able to look beyond where I come from and judge me based off of who I am now.

That rant ended up being longer than expected. I would love to hear other peoples' opinions on this and I hope you'll be respectful of my opinion rather than just trashing me. Also, I'm not just an angry dude who likes to complain about shit. This is just something I've been thinking about for a while and wanted to get it off my back.

Last edited:
N

Nancy Zamecki

I bet it felt great getting off your back :)
HaHa well I agree with a lot of what you had to say , the only people who would have a problem about you coming from a stable home would be the close minded folks that you shouldn't even be wasting your time with. I think it's pretty gnarly that you're trying something new, good luck with your travels! :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Just wanted to post a quick intro and a little rant.

I'm Noah. I'm 18 and I'm in high school in Seattle. I'm really into DIY and making stuff, especially electronics and street art. I'm finishing school in January and I'm hoping to travel after that.

I know I sound like a typical privileged kid who wants to travel because it's trendy or whatever. To be perfectly honest, my family does pretty well and I could probably stay put and go on to college if I wanted to. I know that coming from a background like this and choosing the travelling life pisses a lot of people off. I get it. I know that many people don't have the option of going back home to a bed if they wanted to and that the idea of someone not taking advantage of that might piss them off.

I also know that there are a lot of kids like me who want to travel but end up being annoying, irresponsible, and stupid. For these reasons, I expect that I'll encounter some hostility from travelers who will assume that I'm a snobby little shit because I haven't been through the same shit they have (which is not to say that I haven't had difficulties in my life, they're just different problems). While people get these ideas based off of meeting a lot of kids like that, I think it's as stupid to hate a traveler because they came from a well-off background as it is for someone else to hate a classmate or coworker because they came from a poorer background. We can't control the situation we were born into, but we do have control over how we act now. I will be traveling but I'm not expecting other people to take responsibility for me or feel like I'm owed anything. I'm hoping that people I meet will be able to look beyond where I come from and judge me based off of who I am now.

That rant ended up being longer than expected. I would love to hear other peoples' opinions on this and I hope you'll be respectful of my opinion rather than just trashing me. Also, I'm not just an angry dude who likes to complain about shit. This is just something I've been thinking about for a while and wanted to get it off my back.

the simple fact that you're already aware of your social privilege and how it relates to others puts you about 1000 miles ahead of most people in this world. i think you're gonna do fine in this lifestyle :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads