hobotrucker

Reaction score
Hey fellow 'bonds. Didn't see this news article posted yet, so here it is:

https://www.yahoo.com/health/man-leaves-job-city-to-c1407795376675.html

Cheers!

Man Leaves Job and City Behind to Live Out of Van
Lauren Tuck

a40c89623ebab3b0e62e0fed6f01779bbddaf24e.jpg

Three years ago Foster Huntington quit his job, discarded most of his belongings, gave up his home, and hit the road — for good. Huntington, who was born in Portland, Ore., moved to New York City after graduating college in 2010 to work as a concept designer at Ralph Lauren. Though he was just beginning his successful corporate career, a year in he began craving a life filled with more than a monotonous routine of waking up, working in an office, going to bed, and repeating it all over again the next day. Since then, the 26-year-old has traveled around the West Coast chasing surf and snow. Now, with over 100,000 miles logged on the road, he's managed to build a successful career living as a nomad (his photography book, "Home Is Where You Park It," was released in May and he's entered into partnerships with Patagonia and various other companies), and says he'll never go back living any other way.

df6a1ec50d8c36a1020d806a04a05836848e8294.jpg

When Huntington decided to move out of Manhattan, he sold most of his personal possessions, but kept what he calls his “burning house” items. (If your house was burning, what would you take with you?) His alarm clock, however, did not make the cut. “My sleep has been a lot better,” he told Yahoo Health.

88435f6130d541425438234d1f58ad3557787271.jpg

As opposed to waking up at a set time for work, now Huntington rises with the sun and goes to sleep when it gets dark. “It’s not like crawling out of bed at 6 when my alarm would go off.”

38f1cd75af6e21ac325dc0684d8e679a5e489ddf.jpg

Back when he lived and worked in New York, Huntington spent 60 hours a week in an office and said he only got excercise by forcing himself to go outside and run. That kind of life is common for most adults — nearly 80 percent of Americans don’t get the recommended amount of exercise each week, according to the CDC. Now, the nomad spends his time surfing, skating, and snowboarding.

8503fa43ec6dc48d2640c45ef3e48974938ace2d.png

“Being active is no longer this 45-minute period of my day that I allocate,” Huntington told Yahoo Health. “It’s all physical.”

506a08a5646f419c637c505efba786f87cebf6aa.jpg

When Huntington was living in New York City, he was conscientous about sticking to the Paleo diet. Now, he still follows the eating plan by regularly catching fish and hunting for his meals.

b2dc8eacbf5d0fb9d9accfbc0fe6398b28dcdfbd.jpg

"Living in a big city, food is an inanimate object. Go to a bodega and everything is packaged," he said. "But when you’re taking stuff out of the ground, it’s a lot more personal and puts it into perspective."

91f6f8d99a7fb79bf3cd6ba68b10b1fef75e2bf6.jpg

Since conveniences such as microwaves and ovens aren't available, meals sometimes have to be "Macgyvered." "My life requires a lot of compromises that a lot of people aren’t willing to make." he admitted.

720112dae5ce90db385509e129eb859ce2dc7cc3.jpg

And, these days, a good-night's sleep doesn't necessarily happen in Huntington's camper. It can take place anywhere. Like here ...

dd94ea8bc4ef797ad0f1373714547f4c2af4b326.png

... or here.

10531e5b44da5a9e7c5b9620da60d1084b96c87d.png

... or even here — in a tree house Huntington and some friends are in the process of building in Columbia River Gorge, Ore.

6687eefc22e59fa82bc8646c829f226844f125e9.jpg

And he often discovers bathtubs that come with quite the view.

a9c7a5c9e789a21d9f88e25d43ebeaa085adea2a.jpg

One of the trade-offs to Huntington's itinerant lifestyle is a lack of social options. "I can’t go to restaurants all the time, go to parties, or go to a bar and meet people," he explained. "It's the accessibility of these things that people have become attached to. I think a lot of people don’t really want to give those up."

As for whether giving up the hustle and bustle of the urban jungle for rural roads and wild adventures has been difficult: "Nothing has been that hard," he shared. "If it was hard I wouldn’t be doing it."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful
Reactions: Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
love this guy, i've been following him on instagram for quite some time now. thanks for posting!

also, since i like to archive things here on stp, i copied and pasted the slideshow and the article into the first post :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i don't quite understand the poll though? as far as i know, he still has that van...

Sip

Reaction score
Hobotrucker is asking if you were the guy in the article, would you have ditched the van in addition to the other things? He's asking because a big part of the article is about how the guy ditched most of his earthly goods.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Oh, I don't see where we could have inferred that but maybe I missed something. Personally, I fucking love westfalias, so I guess my answer would be no :)

Reactions: Flemmings

hobotrucker

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Sip. That's what I was gouging at anyway. I saw the option for creating a poll in regards to the subject matter and thought it would be a cool gadget for this topic. Some people give up basically everything with the desire to travel and some like this guy, will keep the vehicle for shelter and mobility. It was just interesting to know how many people would keep their ride if they had one and how many would leave it behind or sell it. Anyhow, cool story but I voted no. As much as it would provide elements of comfort, it would nevertheless be burdensome in some regards. Money for gas if you're moving alot to mention one. If you're not working a gig, then you'd pretty much be panhandling and if I did that, I would want the majority of my money earned going towards food, supplies, and beer. I would also constantly be worried about the larger risk of harassment by the "authorities" due to the fact that they pull more people over versus pulling over beside a fella walking. :) In any case, I greatly admire this guy's spirit! :)

Reactions: Sip

Kal

Reaction score
A man after my own heart. The only things that I have is the stuff that I have in my backpack and my computer.

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads