Indecision about the future.

Flemmings

Reaction score
So, after my chemical burn at my job, Ive decided to quit. this is probably a dumb move but whatever. the decision now stands on whether to see how far west $200 can go in my beater Toyota or dump the car and canoe down the Ohio. I'm really wanting to explore places I've never been, which is basically everything west of OKC.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow - and this is your 4th chemical burn (?) - how about rideshare, craigslist stuff like that? Where in west are you thinking of going?

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
At least your no longer in a situation that can horribly injure/disfigure you anymore.
That 200 will take ya a bit... but do you need to ditch the car right away?
How about gas jugging till you get to where you want to be?
Well adventure on.
Stay positive and good luck man.

Flemmings

Reaction score
Wow - and this is your 4th chemical burn (?) - how about rideshare, craigslist stuff like that? Where in west are you thinking of going?

Well, I've never been farther west than Oklahoma City. So I'd love to go explore everything out there. what I really want to find though is big open land or forest where I can drop my canoe in and basically live a nomadic lifestyle for awhile. Kind of like the Moosehead lake region of Maine or the boundary waters canoe wilderness in Minnesota. Moosehead lake is one of my all time favorite places I've been to so far. I would go there. But at the moment I want to see the mountains, pine forests, deserts and canyons the Western part of the country has to offer.

Flemmings

Reaction score
At least your no longer in a situation that can horribly injure/disfigure you anymore.
That 200 will take ya a bit... but do you need to ditch the car right away?
How about gas jugging till you get to where you want to be?
Well adventure on.
Stay positive and good luck man.

Thanks man, I don't need to ditch the car. i was just saying that if I choose to canoe now I'd just leave the car when i put the canoe in the Ohio river. Also, it's an old rusted 1989 toyota camry with 233,000 miles on it. i paid $250 for it from some old guy who used it as a farm car. While it has no mechanical issues at the moment. i am curious about how far I'd get before it broke down. I don't want to be stuck in the middle of no where, where I can't find a river to throw my canoe and gear in and just abandon the car.

Peace

Reaction score
where were you working before?
I think going down the Ohio sounds amazing! Can I ask how old you are and if you have experience travelling?

Reactions: Flemmings

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i think you should see how much you can get for the car and boat add it to your funds for canoeing down the river. that sounds like a sweet adventure.

Parker Free

Reaction score
Website
coffeewitholiver.com
Man, if you were repeatedly getting injured at work, shouldn't they have paid for it? I hope they did.
Your car is a good one, and shouldn't just break down on you unless you don't change the oil and do the other basic maintenance.
Doing the canoe thing sounds like a fantastic way to feel better about life.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads