In Berlin

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
I got here about a week ago and I have had a really hard time making friends.
Sent some emails to a couple squats asking if they needed a hand, possibly work trade
for staying there, none have responded except one and they are full.
Went to friedrichshain where kopi is located, sat a punk bar, no one talked to me,
headed over to kopi asked 5 people if they spoke english, got weird stares or "No."
Left. About to leave south towards leipzig, anyone got some clues on friendlier parts of germany?
Should I stay for another week and give berlin a chance? As a US squatter it is really frustrating for me not to be able to find a house to work/trade at and not being productive drives me insane.
Anyone got ideas?

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I had a great time in berlin, friendly people, nice housing projects... Not much for squats in the public way, but lots of projects. Maybe you're just a douchebag?

Reactions: RockerBilly

RockerBilly

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a good chance you're not a douche bag, man. Sometimes it's just really difficult to make friends when you're in a completely foreign land on your own and especially if you don't speak the language. My advice would be to look for the people who are probably rejected by society, they are often the most welcoming when you actually make the effort to approach them. I have often been in random cities, seen someone with a tshirt of a band I like and said "Hey man sorry to bother, I just got to this town and I was wondering where are some good places to see some music etc round here?". At least its an ice breaker. There are so many punks who act just like hipsters in a different uniform. Like when you just try and be friendly they act all holier than thou, like "who's this guy? I'm too cool to be friendly to him. I only speak to people with 'x' many tattoos, and their ears must be gauged beyond a certain amount" etc. College campus/student bars are often a good place to meet friendly people.

Reactions: japanarchist

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
Yeah a lot of the berlin punks I have run into are snobby. I am going to stay for another week and probably head towards leipzig which I have heard is more friendlier for travelers.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
I would just advise you to head to fischladen, and meet some people there. but it sounds like you failed at that already. The punks are not that snobby, last I heard Kopi was over run (again) with Junkies, so you could always try just showing up there and staying. Or some other project house, just go there with a case of beer, and have some drinks and meet some people. someone will keep you for sure.

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
well it would be cool if people responded back when I ask them something like "hey is there somewhere to drink a beer and listen to music?" I have made at least 1 friend everywhere I go. And as for junkies being at Kopi that is very strange because I thought heroin was not a huge trend out here. Guess I'll stay away from that place. Maybe that's why they didn't respond to me the first time.

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
Damn, there is just no escaping the smack. Everywhere I went in new york was heron-a-thon.
Then I get to Europe and I'm thinking "Ah finally punks and open squats that are responsible....."
I hate heroin.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
you arent really going to find squats in Berlin. There are some sure, but you will really have to meet the right people, as they are not open public places since the last social center on brunnenstrasse closed down. There are a lot of housing projects (former squats, legalized) on rigaerstrasse. There are everything from drunk punks to queer "safer" spaces that are generally having at least a guest room, and cheap rent if you get along well, and want to stay long term. Try 78 and 96. Besides that, all over that area, is a lot of radical people. When you are looking for squats though, there is a sense of security culture surrounding them, and you might have to make some close friends before being invited into one.

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
Ahhhh Leipzig is an awesome fucking town. This has to be my favorite city in germany (hamburg coming in close second). I don't know why I just didn't come here sooner.....

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
bornaische straße. All squats. I found a place to stay here my first night, and I found a lot of shows and vokus to volunteer at. And I found a lot of people to talk too. Smaller town so it's less tourists as well.

Reactions: RockerBilly

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads