Immunizations to go to Mexico?

joelstitch

Reaction score
So I've been planning to go to Mexico for a while and I'm leaving in a week but it doesnt even crossed my mind about getting immunizations until today. Anybody knows anything about the immunizations I need to go to Mexico? Is it obligatory? Can I get them in Mexico instead of the US?

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Man going to mexico is about the easiest thing out there. Last time I was there I just walked in via Sandiego, they didnt even ask me who I was or why I was there.

joelstitch

Reaction score
What about getting back in the US? I would think they dont care about that stuff while going into Mexico but I dont know if they care about it coming back. And also I know that people get sick pretty easy in Mexico so I was wondering if the immunizations help much or what.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Not sure about coming back, although I toured all the way down to Colombia and didn't have a problem getting back in. Honestly I don't think you have to worry in that department. As far as getting sick goes depending on how long your traveling you almost have to somewhat expect it. I made it down to Honduras until I made the mistake of drinking the water (got cocky and drank this homemade juice from a street vendor) ended up getting diarrhea for three weeks and litteraly shat my pants the first day. Wasn't fun at the time but made for a great experience.
Im not a huge fan of pumping chemicals into my body that dont get me high. I have never in all my years of traveling to pour countries gotten shots. And to be honest other than the odd getting used to the food ext Ive been fine...but that could just be luck.
All that to say I have never had a problem coming back to the North America and having to have had shots

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I was in Honduras this past September(the Bay Islands). I got sick on my last day, came home violently ill.
But that's what happens when you wander round Mexico & Central America, sooner or latter, everyone gets
sick.
Yeah just don't drink the water and be cautious of your food. Mosquito net and a long sleeve shirt or two
are also a good idea. You'd be surprised how comfortable a long sleeve shirt(cotton) would be in the jungle.
Make those damn bugs work for their meal, lol. Silk is also not a bad idea, mosquitos can't bite through it.
Mosquitos are the main thing I'd be concerned about, It is far easier to steer clear of a street food vendor
than it is a little mosquito which you probably won't see. After all malaria is still the number one killer
worldwide of people. Malaria is treatable if you catch it early enough though. And anti-malaria drugs
are probably far cheaper in Mexico where you don't even need a prescription. Do be aware of "Lariam" aka
"Melafloquine", that shit will fuck some people up, I never made it to Ghana cause I was tripping my face
off from that shit(no, a long term bad trip is not cool!). Some people do OK with it though, just bad dreams
and restlessness. In Honduras I used no anti-Malaria meds and was fine, I was just careful.
Just do your research, know what to expect health wise, and let everything else that happens be the adventure!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads