Im new and have seen a scary object that i dont know what does | Squat the Planet

Im new and have seen a scary object that i dont know what does

Iris1503

Iris
Reaction score
Me and my buddy are trying to learn but it's hard to google "what is this help"
Just trying to stay safe with my buddy out there

Attachments

• 20230314_141053.jpg
    20230314_141053.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 117

Bibs

Reaction score
Definitely a grain/cornmeal or chicken feed dispenser, if you're on a grainer car and you're starving you could pop off the cap with a metal bar and mix the feed with water. It's wretched but it will sustain you. Emergencies only though, don't break the railroads shit.
Also, in regards to Google searches, it's certainly a helpful resource but deductive reasoning will serve you better and exists independently of batteries.
For example: when I began traveling phones flipped and nobody had one and the internet was basically magic to an idiot like me, I was sitting on the overpass outside calwa yard just watching trains. I had no concept of the day to day railroad operations outside of what my grandfather told me about his time with katy rail back in the early 80s, but through watching the slave/goat units go back and forth pushing cars all day and the workers checking hoses, applying air tags, and doing other general maintenance I was able to get a semi general idea of the goings on and where I should go, shouldn't go and where I could flee if I got caught. The most important realization I came to though, was how etd lights work. I noticed the workers putting these little blinking yellow/red lights on the very backs of fully built strings. These string would the be pulled onto a siding where they awaited clearance to enter the main line. I came to the conclusion that this must be some final check or procedure they do before trains are sent to their destinations, this was a HUGE realization for my stupid monkey brain and the satisfaction I felt from putting 2 and 2 together and finding the answer was intoxicating to say the least, not to mention I now had very real and tangible knowledge I could share with people. Of course this was not enough and another year went by before I met my roaddog and caught a train but that's beside the point.
Again, I'm not saying don't use oogle maps and shit, they're absurdly helpful and it would be unwise to eschew them. I am only providing an example of how to cultivate a mindset conducive to surviving without the aid of technology or people if you're in a position where you need to do so.

Final also, please find someone in rl to teach you about hopping freight.
Please.
Trains are dangerous and they don't give a fuck about you and no amount of online prep will prepare you for it.
Be safe have fun and may everything you attempt instantly succeed.

Iris1503

Iris
Reaction score
Definitely a grain/cornmeal or chicken feed dispenser, if you're on a grainer car and you're starving you could pop off the cap with a metal bar and mix the feed with water. It's wretched but it will sustain you. Emergencies only though, don't break the railroads shit.
Also, in regards to Google searches, it's certainly a helpful resource but deductive reasoning will serve you better and exists independently of batteries.
For example: when I began traveling phones flipped and nobody had one and the internet was basically magic to an idiot like me, I was sitting on the overpass outside calwa yard just watching trains. I had no concept of the day to day railroad operations outside of what my grandfather told me about his time with katy rail back in the early 80s, but through watching the slave/goat units go back and forth pushing cars all day and the workers checking hoses, applying air tags, and doing other general maintenance I was able to get a semi general idea of the goings on and where I should go, shouldn't go and where I could flee if I got caught. The most important realization I came to though, was how etd lights work. I noticed the workers putting these little blinking yellow/red lights on the very backs of fully built strings. These string would the be pulled onto a siding where they awaited clearance to enter the main line. I came to the conclusion that this must be some final check or procedure they do before trains are sent to their destinations, this was a HUGE realization for my stupid monkey brain and the satisfaction I felt from putting 2 and 2 together and finding the answer was intoxicating to say the least, not to mention I now had very real and tangible knowledge I could share with people. Of course this was not enough and another year went by before I met my roaddog and caught a train but that's beside the point.
Again, I'm not saying don't use oogle maps and shit, they're absurdly helpful and it would be unwise to eschew them. I am only providing an example of how to cultivate a mindset conducive to surviving without the aid of technology or people if you're in a position where you need to do so.

Final also, please find someone in rl to teach you about hopping freight.
Please.
Trains are dangerous and they don't give a fuck about you and no amount of online prep will prepare you for it.
Be safe have fun and may everything you attempt instantly succeed.

Yooooo thank you so much, this is more information than I could've ever hoped for. right now I'm not able to go around and about so I'm watching alot of trainhopping videos, whenever I'm not scrolling through forms or reading about it, slowly I've been learning stuff on my own, but the second I can get out of the house me and a buddy are gonna go practice hopping on and off an Abandoned rail cart and observe how our station works, but once again thank you so much for the thought out response

ohmegatron

Rocket surgeon, MD
Reaction score
rail police use those to drop boiling oil over cars suspected to be occupied by hobos, you're right they are very scary and very dangerous

I really don't think they'd choose a method that's really expensive and messy, guaranteed to kill, and extremely likely to damage the car and its cargo.

When they could just, like, inspect the car to see if anyone's there? Yeah that sounds more likely.

Iris1503

Iris
Reaction score
I really don't think they'd choose a method that's really expensive and messy, guaranteed to kill, and extremely likely to damage the car and its cargo.

When they could just, like, inspect the car to see if anyone's there? Yeah that sounds more likely.

Idkkkk man, with all the hours and hours they spend looking for us, I feel they may have a bit of a grudge...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
why was this posted in the usa section?

Iris1503

Iris
Reaction score
why was this posted in the usa section?

I jumped the gun and failed to do proper research, I apologize, I had no idea where to post this honestly, l didn't even know we had a general banner till yesterday, thank you for moving it and I apologize again, I know my way around the website alot better won't happen again!

Reactions: Missus

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads