Illegal person domestic flight... | Squat the Planet

Illegal person domestic flight...

rhino86

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have an American friend here in Canada who is here illegally. (Crossed the border via kayak) because he wants to explore and see Canada and but knew beforehand he would be denied at the border because of criminal record (graffiti).

Anyway, he’s trying to get west of Montreal / Toronto to Vancouver. As of now VIA rail is booked solid for the next 2 months unless he pays so much for the 1st class shit. And there are currently no buses going west of Toronto. He’s never freight hopped before so that isn’t an option and he wants to avoid any sort of illegal activity that could end up with him getting pinched and deported.

So my question is this, he’s thinking about just getting a flight from either Montreal or Toronto to Vancouver. Would he be ok to fly domestically in Canada whilst being here illegally ? Will air Canada, west jet or air Transat somehow know when he books the flight and they’ll know ? Any sort of info or insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gulysses3

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.jumpingoffthecliff.com
Interesting question for sure. I can’t imagine there would be any issues on a domestic flight since they are normally separate terminals from the international flights and security is more about no fly lists. I’m guessing it’s more important that he has a valid ID like the passport card or a driver’s license to show when checking in so they can see that who he is matches the ticket. Canada seems much more lax than the US on the whole customs thing, but I don’t have any record to speak of and haven’t flown in to or within Canada. I did drive in the other day and it was no big deal. I’m thinking there would be less chance of a run in flying than catching out. Probably one of those do it and see deals that you just have to try and find out what happens. Is car rental an option?

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

rhino86

Reaction score
Interesting question for sure. I can’t imagine there would be any issues on a domestic flight since they are normally separate terminals from the international flights and security is more about no fly lists. I’m guessing it’s more important that he has a valid ID like the passport card or a driver’s license to show when checking in so they can see that who he is matches the ticket. Canada seems much more lax than the US on the whole customs thing, but I don’t have any record to speak of and haven’t flown in to or within Canada. I did drive in the other day and it was no big deal. I’m thinking there would be less chance of a run in flying than catching out. Probably one of those do it and see deals that you just have to try and find out what happens. Is car rental an option?

Thank you for the reply. Yes he has ID and passport. And he’s also thinking about car rental as well. I also think he’d be ok to book a domestic flight but I’m checking to see if anyone here has any insight on the situation. Like I don’t see how Air Canada would know he’s here illegally unless there’s some sort of system they have where they can maybe be able to tell and he gets flagged when he books, thus leading to him having police waiting for him at the terminal.

It really is an interesting question.

• Agree

Gulysses3

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.jumpingoffthecliff.com
Yes with all the computerization of stuff, it’s hard to know what would happen with absolute certainty, but it appears that a government issued picture ID is all that’s required for domestic flight in Canada. I’d bet you’re friend is safe flying domestically.

• Agree

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Since when does a vandlism charge get you barred from Canada?

D

Deleted member 25993

i think it should be fine.they are not technically illegal because they have no criminal record in canada.i doubt everyone passing into canada is marked down as entering at all...just simply waved in.thousands of people cross every hour.once i was crossing back into vermont and they didn't like that i was on record entering the u.s. 10 times but had only one record of coming into canada.i have been waved in once at a small crossing in WA.unfortunatly i have been denied entrance twice and that record doesn't go away.also if you have ever had a felony they can deny you entrance

D

Deleted member 25993

if any questions come up the story would be they hitched a ride to a small crossing(pick one) with canadians(in a car with canadian plates) and were simply "waved in".perhaps this is a thing of the past...but a few americans slipping through the cracks does not seem unlikely,and certainly does not make you illegal

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Since when does a vandlism charge get you barred from Canada?
I heard having a first time owi no matter how long ago can get an American denied entry to Canada!

r3yn

Reaction score
Why can't he just hitch? Or use ride share?
After Toronto (west of Toronto), it shouldn't be anywhere near a problem to get a ride (unless stranded in the prairies).

And I agree; I don't think there would be a problem domestically booking a flight, as the corporate airlines system is not yet linked to the governments' visa office (as far as I know; hence why they always check at the gate to see your visa when flying to international destinations from canada). the airline workers do check ID at the boarding gate in canada (and US too, i think), but I doubt they are looking at visa stamps.

post results.

• Agree

rhino86

Reaction score
He ended up taking a flight from Montreal to Vancouver with no problems what so ever...

And he also bit the bullet and took a flight back into the US after having travelled into Canada illegally. There is a way into Washington from Tswassen BC that he couldn’t figure out.

Nothing happened with that either except he was questioned for a long time. He never admitted to entering Canada illegally and eventually let him in with no repercussions.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads