I see a vision of a great Rucksack Revolution

D

deleted user

Hello there,

Joined up to see how the rideshare forum works and have stuck around. I've been dreaming up a bit of backpacking journey for years now finally underway. It certainly hasn't been to much success, but I'm out in the world regardless. I did get a cool nod on Twitter from Carine McCandless (Into The Wild) though.

v4kl6zwnfnusknhvhmjn.jpg

If anyone's coming through Missouri and can hook up a ride to the first location, that'd be awesome (got gas money). Also looking for people to travel with, if nothing else. Good to meet you all and hope us luck on travels.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
D

deleted user

Oh, sorry. I'm going to this place outside of French Village near STL called Astral Valley. They make all the giant puppets for festivals. Pretty cool. They have a dorm for volunteers.

A burnout regional started on their land today.

They were going to pick me up on their way back from Wakarusa, but something happened and they had to take a different route. I'd link ya, but on a phone at the moment.

Like what you are doing with this place, by the way.

D

deleted user

Got a bit on my computer...

This is the place.

A little more about my adventure and me here.

(Posting not for promotion, but simply because it has the most stuff in one place. Basically, I'm wanting to visit the majority of alternative communities in America. I'll be doing a column about it out of a place called Literary Orphans based in Chicago. Hoping this will all add up to a decent book and travel guide in the end.)

Next plans include some other farms and communes in MO. I'm scheduled for a visit at East Wind in Tecumseh, MO come August as well.

D

deleted user

Mostly my plans consist of about 40 of the 1700 communities in the IC directory. It'd be cool to find a location to become an associate member of in every state, but they all vary quite
a bit. Interweaving all this with a WWOOF directory, Slab City, and gatherings. Might have a farm apprenticeship come September to learn everything about growing crops and raising animals, as well as save up extra cash for my bigger ideas with all this. Like shooting a mini doc or podcast at each location. If I can get past this initial failure to launch, it should be good.

Thanks for the kind words!

• Useful
Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc
D

deleted user

No problem. I've found a lot of awesome locations on it. Majority are religious or barely put together though. Couple other cool places I've found not on the directory are Shut Up & Grow It and Hippie Hill in Tennessee. Worth looking into if you are passing through that way.

Instead of paying a WWOOFing membership, you can also find most farms on the free portion of WorkX where you can find their sites to approach them independently.

I don't really have much travel experience yet, but have been reading and studying locations for years while living near moneyless. Hopefully a whole new world opens in this next chapter.

RobHASboots

Reaction score
Got a bit on my computer...

This is the place.

A little more about my adventure and me here.

(Posting not for promotion, but simply because it has the most stuff in one place. Basically, I'm wanting to visit the majority of alternative communities in America. I'll be doing a column about it out of a place called Literary Orphans based in Chicago. Hoping this will all add up to a decent book and travel guide in the end.)

Next plans include some other farms and communes in MO. I'm scheduled for a visit at East Wind in Tecumseh, MO come August as well.
Jealous about your east wind visit. I've been curious about that intentional community for years. I'm up in des moines.
Lemme know what you think, if it goes down. I hold positive expectations for that one.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads