I hope I'm doing this right!! | Squat the Planet

I hope I'm doing this right!!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Alaina and this whole forum layout is something I've always found to be very difficult but I'm still gonna try. I love travelling and I love the outdoors. I've always hated the tourist type travel, it's something that has always left me unfulfilled. I'm planning on travelling after I graduate and I'm saving up money for the whole trip. I'm really planning it out and I know that that's not very punk of me but I don't care! After my trip, I plan on going to college for something like agriculture or something that would help me help out others in my community in some sort of anarchist way. I know I don't need to go to college but I guess plans are still subject to change! I suppose I'm hoping this website will give me an outlet to make friends, give and receive tips and help, and help me make the most of my travels, where ever I may be going! I'm really glad I found this website. Share what ya got!!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well hi there - and welcome! :D We're not that difficult - Matt (the site's owner) has us laid out quite well into different traveling sections that include - where too in the world, what equipment you might want to look into taking on your trip (I mean we have people who are driving, hitchhiking, etc - which means some different supplies and equipment) and so much more. Hey and even looking for a quick place to stay as in couch surfing or even someone to travel with too. Do ---- Do some searching on here in our different forums for information as we have a lot of information here but you have to do a little searching - but in the mean time you may have some people chime in as well. Welcome!

Durp

Reaction score
Welcome! Ps don't go to college for ag, because you can just get a job on a farm and learn more than any class room will teach you ;) college with no experience = free labor in the mind of a farmer ;) college is one of those things that if you are going to do it, be a scientist or doctor ect... something that requires a degree, and more than masochism.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi, I'm Alaina and this whole forum layout is something I've always found to be very difficult but I'm still gonna try. I love travelling and I love the outdoors. I've always hated the tourist type travel, it's something that has always left me unfulfilled. I'm planning on travelling after I graduate and I'm saving up money for the whole trip. I'm really planning it out and I know that that's not very punk of me but I don't care! After my trip, I plan on going to college for something like agriculture or something that would help me help out others in my community in some sort of anarchist way. I know I don't need to go to college but I guess plans are still subject to change! I suppose I'm hoping this website will give me an outlet to make friends, give and receive tips and help, and help me make the most of my travels, where ever I may be going! I'm really glad I found this website. Share what ya got!!

welcome! if you're confused about anything just let me know and i'll do my best to get you sorted out :)

Reactions: alainawhocares

Kal

Reaction score
Welcome. Be safe and have fun. How do you plan on traveling? Are you hitching, using a bike, car, or hopping a train?

Reaction score
Welcome. Be safe and have fun. How do you plan on traveling? Are you hitching, using a bike, car, or hopping a train?
I was planning on driving until my car dies or I get sick of paying for gas. I wanted to ride a bike but I don't have enough money to invest in a good bike. So I guess I'll walk, hitch, and maybe hop a train? That's always been scary to me even though it sounds so fun.

Reactions: Kal

Antelope Bob

Soul Seeker
Reaction score
We are all here for you. Never forget that :)

Kal

Reaction score
I was planning on driving until my car dies or I get sick of paying for gas. I wanted to ride a bike but I don't have enough money to invest in a good bike. So I guess I'll walk, hitch, and maybe hop a train? That's always been scary to me even though it sounds so fun.
Have fun and be safe.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The cars about 10 years old and doesn't have a working speedometer. The most I could get from it would probably be 500, and I could get that much if I brought it to the junkyard :(

500 is plenty for a bike and gear for bike touring :D

Reactions: Durp

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I had no idea a good bike was that cheap. I'll look into it!

i'm kind of the exception to the rule, but i got my touring bike for $110 on craigslist. the average price you can expect to pay for a good used bike is about $200-250 dollars.

• Useful

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The important thing to take away from this is that a good used bike is always always always better then a shit new bike. Seriously some of these things people ride are barely repairable, not meant to have parts replaced. Look for old mountain bikes with no suspension, especially older trek ones. Suspension is just more shit to break on the road that is hard to repair and not useful on a loaded bike.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads