I am Vanholio!

Vanholio

Reaction score
1150 E Washington St, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Website
www.vanholio.com
Well, I'm here. Just learned about this site at /r/vandwellers. Very exciting. Looks like you're my kind of people. Anxious to dive into the threads and chat.

Vanholio's a full-time vandweller in the USA. My blog is vanholio.com. Yeah, "Vanholio" is a persona, but it's more fun to write that way. :p The name and attitude is performance, but the content is all 100%.

Shit, I don't know what the fuck else to say. My turn ons are walks on the beach and puppies. My turnoffs are negative people. Hi!

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
analysis paralysis - love it

you spend way more than I do in an apartment though. Holy shit! I eat on $120 a month, basic coverage, no data, etc.

Reactions: Vanholio

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
hehe - I like the "Vanholio" :) Welcome to STP!

Vanholio

Reaction score
Website
www.vanholio.com
you spend way more than I do in an apartment though. Holy shit! I eat on $120 a month, basic coverage, no data, etc.

Actually, I got that down lately. Base expenses $500. Groceries similar to yours (if I don't get self-indulgent and eat out more). Internet is $5 per month. Cell *was* $12 /month, but I just got a new phone that's a bit more. ... It's been a learning process. But fuck it, I figure the less I need to live on, the less I need to work.

Vanholio

Reaction score
Website
www.vanholio.com
how often is that? I dont know anything about them.

Sorry if you know some of this:

MiFi: a router that connects to internet via wireless cell signal rather than cable or phone.
3G: an outdate speed of cellular wireless that's a bit slower but serviceable. Not great for video.
Flash: a method of changing the programming in a computer, in this case the computer is the little MiFi.

I'm not sure exactly how these gadgets work, but I think what they do is get an older model of MiFi and an older Verizon cell phone that's grandfathered on an unlimited, cheap 3G service. The pirate resellers somehow get the programming off the cell phone and "flash" it onto the MiFi. Then you can get unlimited internet on the cheap grandfathered plan.

Naturally, this violates Verizon's terms of service. You get no support. You call into a automated Verizon 800 number every month to pay your $5, either with credit card or a refill card. But Verizon can't find every flashed MiFi out there. They may disconnect your account if you use unusually large amounts of data and show up on their radar, say downloading movies off TOR all day and night. But I've been getting away with it for months.

Interested? Google "unlimited Verizon mifi $5". There's usually people selling them on Ebay and a few websites of bigger operators.

dprogram

Reaction score
Nice to meet ya! I've got a van that I began converting to be a stealth camper but I'm starting over and going to actually finish insulating and paneling the interior. Thanksfor the mifi tip!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads