Howdy!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I think this is the first time I've ever bothered to post an intro on a forum before. Usually I mostly just lurk in the shadows to get whatever info or entertainment I am looking for before moving on, but this is such a great resource and a cool community from what I can see so fat so I think I may just want to stick around this time.

My name is Jude. I am currently a college student in the Midwest. I am about to graduate and then I will be doing my own thing as I (veerrrrryy slowwwlllyyy) work my way through a master's program with two additional certificates. I'd rather not say what I am studying or give too much info about my personal details because I prefer a certain degree of anonymity online and even more when traveling. My master's will be a dual program MSW in social work and MA in women's studies with certificates in nonviolence studies and American Ethnic studies.

I'm in my late 20s. Had all sorts of jobs and living situations. Lots of crazy, colorful life experiences. I've had a lot, I've had nothing and I've been all over the place in between. I've been camping since my first girl scout camp out at 6 but have never been off the grid for more than the occasional week longish getaway. Plenty of training and experience in camping and survival stuff and all of that. I am also trained in a bunch of first aid type stuff (CPR, first aid, certified in lifeguarding and swim instruction as well as for training all levels of swim and most of lifeguarding, babysitter certification, etc.) Basically I am, or have at some point have been, trained to work in all the different things you might need to be trained to do at a sleepaway camp.

I've traveled a lot, but not in the manner most STP posters seem to have traveled. It's all been via passenger trains, planes and automobiles. And boats/ships. I grew up traveling with my parents. Vacations for summer and spring break and lots and lots and lots of roadtrips in between. We were always in the car on the weekends, driving all over kingdom come. I am happiest when out on the road. I take long trips away but I have always come home after a few weeks and I have always had a home to return to. I have lived in only 3 places for my whole life. My hometown and 2 college towns. I get bored staying in one place for very long and every 3 or 4 months I get really bad wanderlust and have to get away for a week or weekend as soon as I can manage it.

I'm more of a recovering huppie than a punk or anarchist, I would say. Although I do fit in a bit with that crowd. When I meet people IRL I never had a problem, but a lot of times online the punk, etc part of the traveling community misread me as a spoiled rich kid because of the way I talk and the fact that I do have a very comfortable life to fall back on if I ever wanted to run home. I guess after a 12ish year long career in academia my vocab and manner probably have become sort of bougie. I can't help that too much. As a teen I loved to write, and that doesn't help matters since I sort of prided myself on having a way with words. Oh, and I ramble a LOT! can you tell? :p

Umm idk what else to say. I'm doing this on my phone while we are hella slow at work so I guess if you want to know something I didn't cover then you should ask and I'll get back to you.

<3 Jude

K

Kim Chee

Nice intro. I have a soft spot for social workers:). I would like to think this community is pretty tolerant of persons from different socio-economic backgrounds. As long as you aren't "holdin' out" I'd say you're good:)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool intro! And congrats on the education. Enjoy your break aways when you can!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Great intro. :D
Welcome to the site. :D
I'm watching x-men. Just thought I'd throw that in there.... whatever. ::wtf::

Reactions: Kal

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads