Howdy from a Long Time Lurker

Crumist

Reaction score
Hey all, I have read these forums on and off for more than a year now without really participating myself. To be perfectly honest, I doubt I really have much to contribute to conversations because the truth is that I am more of an armchair traveling kid.

I enjoy reading anarchist/punk/self-sufficiency boards and literature, but I don't put any of it into practice. I try and live vicariously through my computer, and it is becoming less and less satisfying. Plus, I have a rankling suspicion that getting excited about reading accounts of dumpster-diving and train-hopping is only helping me to conform to the Great Rat Race that is modern consumerist culture. I am a university student with many more years of school and (hopefully?) medical school ahead of me. In other words, I am living and headed for an exceptionally average and conformist lifestyle.

So, I apologize for being such a poseur, and I would welcome any suggestions from other part-time travelers (if you exist).

Reactions: Ristoncor

Ristoncor

Reaction score
I'm not traveling currently, and won't be for another few years because of high-school. But I've heard a lot of other people on here talk about spending summers traveling while they were in college, and then coming back to school in the fall. It might help to get your feet wet by taking a few "vacations" during school breaks and such before you go out for
a summer. Good luck with your travels, wherever they take you!

Reactions: Sip

Sip

Reaction score
Hey all, I have read these forums on and off for more than a year now without really participating myself. To be perfectly honest, I doubt I really have much to contribute to conversations because the truth is that I am more of an armchair traveling kid.

I enjoy reading anarchist/punk/self-sufficiency boards and literature, but I don't put any of it into practice. I try and live vicariously through my computer, and it is becoming less and less satisfying. Plus, I have a rankling suspicion that getting excited about reading accounts of dumpster-diving and train-hopping is only helping me to conform to the Great Rat Race that is modern consumerist culture. I am a university student with many more years of school and (hopefully?) medical school ahead of me. In other words, I am living and headed for an exceptionally average and conformist lifestyle.

So, I apologize for being such a poseur, and I would welcome any suggestions from other part-time travelers (if you exist).

Hey, at least you're up front about it. There are so many people who show up, act like they're going t travel, and then never do. I second Ristoncor's suggestion. Spend your vacations hitching or hoping. A good man said, "people act like, when they leave to go hitching, it has to be one or the other. That they can never go home again. Why?"

Go exploring. wait until most people are in bed and hit a dumpster or two. Even if you don't take something. It's like a treasure hunt.

Reactions: Rover

Rover

Drifting away
Reaction score
Crumist. Oh man you missed a golden opportunity. You should have called yourself Crum-u-nist.

I think that there are a few part timers out there, you could pretty much call me one. It's your journey, do what you want. Hey, If you're disillusioned with the American dream, and going through med school, why not go work with MSF when you're finished?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads