How to not have a panic attack on a stealth camping trip.

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is all great advice, I would like to add to it though.
Don't do the "bum explosion" and I'm pack all your stuff and scatter it out.
You want to be able to pack up quickly and in the dark or find things like headlamps, flashlight ECT in the dark from memory with little or no effort.
Keep your boots where you can find them ECT.
Last thing you want is some angry property owner or cop telling you to move and it's taking forever.
Or some meth crazed local homebum blowing up the sit because they stumble into you and your camp by chance.
Also if you're going to be in a particular area for an extended period of time have more than one camp chances are better for you if you move from time to time.
It's good to not be to comfortable as it keeps you more aware.
Always keep an eye open for a better camp

Thank you Johny that is a very good point also. Keeping things packed small organized and ready to go has lots of advantages. I always associate the term "stealth camping" to mean " sleeping someplace I'm not supposed to while traveling. Largely because that's how and why I stealth camp. So I never have a reason to camp in the same place twice. Honestly most of the places I sleep while traveling I would struggle to find again. If your sleeping in one spot for a while my advice is not going to be very helpful.

Johny

Reaction score
Thank you Johny that is a very good point also. Keeping things packed small organized and ready to go has lots of advantages. I always associate the term "stealth camping" to mean " sleeping someplace I'm not supposed to while traveling. Largely because that's how and why I stealth camp. So I never have a reason to camp in the same place twice. Honestly most of the places I sleep while traveling I would struggle to find again. If your sleeping in one spot for a while my advice is not going to be very helpful.

I'm normally constantly on the move when I'm camping also .
But definitely keep my pack organized and know where everything is so I'm not fumbling in the dark for something I need.
Recently I was camping in the woods next to a Lowe's in north Ashley SC (Charleston) and didn't want to use a light and draw attention.
I can find anything I need in my pack in the dark.

....also slightly off topic, DRY BAGS are a life saver lol

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dry bags are in fact awesome. Are you working out of a backpack? Do you use a large pack liner or smaller dry bags to keep things sorted? When I'm on a bike all my bags are basically giant roll tops. For a pack on foot however I like to use one massive pack liner. Normally a trash compactor bag which is twisted at the top to water proof it. Its a light weight minimalists approach but ill admit its a pain.

Reactions: V4wandering

Johny

Reaction score
Dry bags are in fact awesome. Are you working out of a backpack? Do you use a large pack liner or smaller dry bags to keep things sorted? When I'm on a bike all my bags are basically giant roll tops. For a pack on foot however I like to use one massive pack liner. Normally a trash compactor bag which is twisted at the top to water proof it. Its a light weight minimalists approach but ill admit its a pain.

I use two in a 90ltr , one for sleeping bag ECT other clothes

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
The more you camp the more desensitized you get to the fear of being discovered. The harder you work to get to your spot, the less likely you will be discovered by other humans in the dark.

While I haven't tried this one, I think an abandoned shopping mall or abandoned grocery/large retail store could have some interesting camp spots, provided there isn't any sort of regular police presence in the area. Consider the amount of effort it can take to get into such a building if it has been sealed, since you'll have to work quite hard at it relative to other potential locations.

Forth

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
While I haven't tried this one, I think an abandoned shopping mall or abandoned grocery/large retail store could have some interesting camp spots, provided there isn't any sort of regular police presence in the area. Consider the amount of effort it can take to get into such a building if it has been sealed, since you'll have to work quite hard at it relative to other potential locations.

I would have more paranoia being inside some 'private' property than I do just passing out by a river somewhere. I know that's not the option for people in urban areas all the time. I purposely stick to low population areas. That said, I had no trouble finding a secluded spot in forest park when I was kicking around St Louis.

koob

Reaction score
Something that I've found helpful in my last few trips is the versatility that using a bivy as opposed to a tent offers. A tent is a lot more noticable than a bivy, especially if it's brightly colored which a lot of tents are. Just for peace of mind, I've found it nice that with a bivy I can lay down right in a thicket and be pretty much invisible whereas it's a lot harder to set up a tent in a spot like that. That said, if you're in a more permanent spot having only a bivy is pretty miserable.

If I'm planning on staying somewhere for a few days, I usually find a spot in a small forest/thicket just outside of town, and build a shelter out of the natural materiels around the site, and sleep under that with my bivy. If your shelter is constructed out of natural materiels, it'll blend really nicely with the surroundings and it's a lot less likely that you'll be spotted.

I also try to never have light on when I'm at my spot. Especially at night, lights are a dead giveaway. I also used to never have fires at my spot, but that really sucks in the winter, so I started using Dakota fire pits. Dakota fires are lit in a deep pit which is fed oxygen from underneath by another connected hole. This way, the light of the fire is concealed by the walls of the pit, and the fire is almost completely smokeless because of some fancy physics which I honestly don't understand. If you're still worried about people seeing the light off the fire, you can build a heat-reflective wall in the direction that you think you'll most likely be spotted from. That serves as both extra camouflage and more heat.

As a lot of other people have already said, the chances are still pretty low of being found while stealth camping if the right percautions are taken. That said, if you're not getting good sleep because of the fear of being found, take every measure to put yourself at ease. Good sleep is super important, so going the extra distance always pays pays off 🙂

Forth

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Something that I've found helpful in my last few trips is the versatility that using a bivy as opposed to a tent offers. A tent is a lot more noticable than a bivy, especially if it's brightly colored which a lot of tents are. Just for peace of mind, I've found it nice that with a bivy I can lay down right in a thicket and be pretty much invisible whereas it's a lot harder to set up a tent in a spot like that. That said, if you're in a more permanent spot having only a bivy is pretty miserable.

I totally agree with this. Some guy at work was just telling me wild boars will eat you if you go down into parts of arkansas? I got sick of setting up a tent. Snakes and critters are spooky but are way more scared of me where im at. Curious if anyone has an experience using a bivy that involved a wild animal. I had a rat jump off of my head in the middle of the night sleeping in peoples park with just a bivy. College kids would stumble on me quite a bit and some people i freaked out on came to my camp and threw up gang signs one night. nothing ever happened. Ive gotten really used to waking up with people around me, but i wonder how much i actually miss when im fucked up. im tattoeless, and i think maybe some other homies gave me a single stick and poke dot on my forehead. its darker than a freckle maybe im trippin.

i guess what im saying is dont fall asleep around people you just met lol

koob

Reaction score

I totally agree with this. Some guy at work was just telling me wild boars will eat you if you go down into parts of arkansas? I got sick of setting up a tent. Snakes and critters are spooky but are way more scared of me where im at. Curious if anyone has an experience using a bivy that involved a wild animal. I had a rat jump off of my head in the middle of the night sleeping in peoples park with just a bivy. College kids would stumble on me quite a bit and some people i freaked out on came to my camp and threw up gang signs one night. nothing ever happened. Ive gotten really used to waking up with people around me, but i wonder how much i actually miss when im fucked up. im tattoeless, and i think maybe some other homies gave me a single stick and poke dot on my forehead. its darker than a freckle maybe im trippin.

i guess what im saying is dont fall asleep around people you just met lol

Hahahaha maybe I just need to look tougher and nobody'll mess with me lol. The first time I ever stealth camped I unknowingly slept in a bullfield, and the trampled down grass that I saw as a great sleeping spot was in fact one of the places where the cows would lay down to sleep. Got woken up in the middle of the night by an inquisitive bull, but it didn't seem to care very much about me and ambled away, although I nearly shit my pants when I saw it. At the time I had only a sleeping bag and a tarp although a tent wouldn't have helped much if that thing had decided to kebab me with it's horns

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads