How to heat the squatt? | Squat the Planet

How to heat the squatt?

punk202

perkele
Reaction score
Greeting! Many sorry, if I post on the wrong board.
How to heat the squatt??? It is winter o'ready, and even though it's warmer inside than outside (we have very few holes in the building), it's still uncomfortable because of cold, not even speaking about how it feels without jackets on! How to heat the squatt though?
  • Big fire ain't an option (ex. campfire, burn barrel), 'cause the smoke will either expose our squat (unfortunately it's in the middle of the city, and in Finland abandoned houses get dismantled by the government REALLY easily), or, if we try to keep it inside more or less, kill our lungs.
  • Heater is 50/50 option, 'cause to get electricity we need to steal it from the electric grid, which is possible, but also exposing us (especially if we use that option a lot). I've tried to use it once, but it didn't heat the room well.
  • Chemical reactions???? No idea about this one, sound VERY expensive & complicated
  • Candels, "heat catchers", etc.: works 50/50 like SHIT. maybe there is a way to use "small fire" more effective?
  • huh??
You have any ideas, friends?
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 13838433_1786049598333412_1031750819_o.jpg
    13838433_1786049598333412_1031750819_o.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 104

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
Would kerosene or some other gas be an option?

I remember going into a few abandos in Philly that obviously had people living upstairs. Glad I never ran into any of those people.

That actually sounds like it‘d be a good thread topic.

Anyway, I digress. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

love,
barf

MichelleA66

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Propane heater? There are many different types and would be easy to heat up a room or two, depending on the size.

Yes, a propane Buddy Heater. If you could get a 20 pound (9+ kg) propane tank, it will keep you warm for quite some time if used sparingly. If they get tipped or knocked over, they have a nice safety feature that shuts it off immediately to prevent a fire.

bellavesus

Reaction score
Ive squatted in philly in the winter, among other places. Definitely cover all openings with fabric, carpet etc to isolate smaller areas is a good idea- the "tent" method above works great, can use tarps/vinyl sheeting cut and stapled to fit. Propane heaters are good, 2nd on the lil buddy style/catalytic heaters as they dont need venting so will not kill you with the offgas, but you have to source propane- or pirate, same as electricity. A small woodstove with a tall enough stack (run through a window opening) will emit very little to no smoke after initial firing if wood is dry, such as pallet pieces. Candles are last resort as you have discovered but as a low budget heat/light source. Its crucial you seal up the area (see above) and safety risk is increased with an open flame and flammable materials like most sleeping gear. Ive found a steady mix of dance tunes will keep me warm and upbeat even in the darkest days, just need speakers ha ha.

hoebosto

Reaction score
How to heat the squatt??? It is winter o'ready, and even though it's warmer inside than outside (we have very few holes in the building), it's still uncomfortable because of cold, not even speaking about how it feels without jackets on! How to heat the squatt though?
  • Big fire ain't an option (ex. campfire, burn barrel), 'cause the smoke will either expose our squat (unfortunately it's in the middle of the city, and in Finland abandoned houses get dismantled by the government REALLY easily), or, if we try to keep it inside more or less, kill our lungs.
  • Heater is 50/50 option, 'cause to get electricity we need to steal it from the electric grid, which is possible, but also exposing us (especially if we use that option a lot). I've tried to use it once, but it didn't heat the room well.
  • Chemical reactions???? No idea about this one, sound VERY expensive & complicated
  • Candels, "heat catchers", etc.: works 50/50 like SHIT. maybe there is a way to use "small fire" more effective?
  • huh??
Many thanks in advance.

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
If you can get some card board and cover all the remaining holes. The less holes the less cold drafs coming in. Also as some.one mentioned getting gas heaters would be better if you don't wanna mess.up your lungs tho I'd make sure there's a way to let air in and out . Reason being , carbon monoxide. As a former fire fighter with the sqauts I go to I always try to fire proof my areas as much as possible

00kissmarrykick00

I gotta be STOKED to be FLEXIBLE!
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to heat my camper and I was discouraged from using a Mr Buddy heater because it can run propane very quickly. Not to assume your budget. If you can afford the propane, go for it. Depending on how much you use it, it might not even be a lot.

Covering up all the holes to prevent a draft is very helpful!

• Useful
Reactions: MichelleA66

Voidcreep

Reaction score
  • huh??
Many thanks in advance.

Someone might have mentioned it already but I know we have a group in the states making these heaters for the homeless. Their fairly cheap and I've heard they work surprisingly well. I'll try and attach the PDF of the blueprint and if your willing to use wood (I know you said smokes a no no) I'm not sure on how much smoke it produces but I'll als attach a file on a rocket mass heate\stove.

Attachments

• Heater Bloc's Guide to Building A Copper Coil Alcohol Heater 2021.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 105
  • Rocket Mass Heaters Super Efficient Wood Stoves YOU Can Build.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 109

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads