Question - how long do you travel? | Squat the Planet

Question how long do you travel?

SenRex

Reaction score
I've read a bunch of travel stories but I'm really curious, how long do you usually travel for? Are you traveling 24/7 or do you go on weeks or month-long stints?

Personally, I'm interested in the former but I'm really curious on how y'all manage the latter. How does it work and so on? I guess mostly I'm a bit nosy but I'd really like to hear some of your experiences.

Reactions: Bibs

Tony G

Reaction score
I've read a bunch of travel stories but I'm really curious, how long do you usually travel for? Are you traveling 24/7 or do you go on weeks or month-long stints?

Personally, I'm interested in the former but I'm really curious on how y'all manage the latter. How does it work and so on? I guess mostly I'm a bit nosy but I'd really like to hear some of your experiences.
Depends on the season i don't really travel during winter unless i have to but the rest of the year is full tilt most of the time im traveling...been to 5 states in the last 8 days

Reactions: SenRex

Bibs

Reaction score
If I had my way I'd be traveling non-stop, but certain personal shit has taken me off the road for an extended period of time.

When I was actively traveling though I was a bit more homebummy in the winter, I'd find a nice town and get some work like shoveling snow, or helping people unpack after a move or anything that involves labor so I could stay in shape.

I would urge everyone, however, to find at least one job that you enjoy and that has a re-hire policy meaning that if you do well they will re-hire you in the event you want to leave or the work dries up. Right now I work as a hospice nurse in Ellensburg and they are ALWAYS in need of people. No experience required and the starting pay is $14 an hour, after four months you can leave on good terms and have unemployment benefits for the next 6-8 months. Companies name is Kittitas Interactive management by the way.

Anyways that's how I stay afloat when I'm traveling, along with a healthy dose of busking, spange, and flipping loot at pawn shops. I hope this helped ya out a bit, good luck sen^-^
With gratitude,-Ian

ali

Reaction score
I operate somewhere in the space between a gap year backpacker and a migrant worker. I stay in a place working for a couple years and getting to know the local scene, then i head back on the road while i look for a new place that might be interesting to live. The downside is working for the man, but the upside is i usually have enough cash to stay in conventional accommodation. I can swing much longer breaks than the average office worker because i don't buy any stuff. Even when i rent an apartment, i still eat cheap and mostly live out of my pack. I don't have a home town or even a home country, so i just settle down wherever and see that as part of the journey.

roguetrader

Reaction score
for a good 10 or 15 years I had a big self build motor home and moved pretty regularly - we had a circuit of places that we'd travel to each year, both for work and to visit friends - we spent a month or two at each location ... it went something like this - in the English winter months we'd drive as far south in Europe as we could and try and avoid the cold and the rain... getting back to England for the start of March I'd do a couple of months work picking daffodils and sell any alcohol or tobacco that I'd bought cheap in other countries... at the beginning of June I would start work at the Glastonbury Festival for 6 - 8 weeks, and after that we would move to a seaside town in Cornwall, where my partner braided hair until the end of the summer... after an autumn spent picking apples (or later grapes) it would be time to think about leaving for the winter again...

this circuit took a good few years to refine... for example we did plenty of crap seasonal jobs that we never went back to, and visited places enough times that we went somewhere else the next year, but in general it was a great life and I miss it....

currently we're on a long term park up with a teenager in school, which limits the travelling we can do but we're still living in vehicles and one day will be mobile again - I've not lived in a house for 25 years and don't intend to anytime soon !

SenRex

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses everybody that's pretty much what I wanted to hear too haha. I'm currently kind of in the 'planning' phase, but I'm really interested in like never 'going back to a home' so to speak when traveling haha.

Reactions: Bibs

Burgessfrus

Reaction score
I have been traveling for 7 years. Since remote work on the internet became possible, I have studied some remote professions and no longer lived in one place for more than two months.

• Love It
Reactions: SenRex

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads