How do YOU meet people on the road?

johnny possum

Reaction score
This goes for all forms of traveling. How do you like to find others with common interests while constantly on the move? Where do you go and how do you devote your time to it? Alternatively, how do you scope out bad apples? Any stories or experiences?

WieselFlink

Reaction score
I like to find the places punks gather at, like cityparks or good spanging places. Then just talk to a few people, normally it can take a few tries to find similar people but if they seem sympathic you surely will have no problems. Sometimes *couh* matrix *cough* there will be crazy people that won't let you live in peace but if you stay friendly and openminded you can get ridof them soon enough.

Well. Expect for Matrix from vienna wich followed us and a cool guy we met at the park and took with us home through about 4 diffrent subways, ttred to "defend" us from a policeman in civillian (wich tried to rescue us from matrix)and then tried to follow us to the appartment we slept at at that moment. I'd like to ad that that guy is living in an subwaystation and tried to start a fight with a totaly wasted guy I was tripsitting. Also he covered his body with brown carpaint and wrote 666 all over his back with the paint. Hell, that was one creepy dude. At one time he offered me 1000€ if he could lick me. (I wouldn't have let him even if he had so much monney wich he doesn't)

K

kokomojoe

I never really tried to meet people, I'd just go to certain places I thought were cool, then met other people that went there cause it looked cool to them.

Bedheadred

Reaction score
I drive around looking for street kids, usually find them in parks, under bridges, dive bars, I've also met mad travelers in Walmart parking lots all over the country

Cosmic Rob

Professional straight-edge
Reaction score
I think of the reason why i decided to in a certain place and what i'm really after. i mean, sometimes you just want to get wasted on the beach making sandcastles or something and other times there's some rowdy screamer punching people in the face for their drinks and you wonder how you got there. (there's a vampire joke somewhere, but it sucks)

If i hit up golden gate park, i just pop a squat next to a big group of people and roll a joint. If i'm in Garberville, i have my trade blanket out and i'm selling some wraps or random stuff i have in my bag. over time i've started keeping up with warhammer and magic the gathering too. Every now and then i'm just on my own and i have to deal with it, but if you're trying to be friends with everybody, you might be doing something wrong.

Jone

Reaction score
I met a really good friend outside of the public library in a new town. And initially I cat called and they ignored me. Then we had a mutual junkie friend and we ended up all getting Chinese food, then we drove 5000 miles.
Another time I was "listening to my to

Reactions: todd

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Honestly? I dont. I'll say hi to fellow travellers or hangout for a night if they're cool, but then just end up doing my own thing.

And its really easy to get a vibe from people. If you dont like it, leave.

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've met some pretty decent human beings hitch-hiking and working all the different jobs I've held, anywhere from 1-2 days to 6 months in the last 5 years. Let me rephrase that.. in the last 5 years I've met so many cool people I feel like a new and improved human being. Some of those people I wasn't close enough to see the whites of their eyes but knew that if I let them get that close I would be in a world of pain, and some of them I got so close they told me their life story without hesitation. Friends are people that teach you something.. and in 5 years I feel I've learned more than I would ever have learned in that same amount of time if I'd stuck with college.

tldr they just come out of the woodwork as soon as you put yourself out there.

One that sticks out randomly was definitely one of the baddest ass mofos I will ever meet. He lived with his girlfriend in a tent up in the nearby mountains southwest of bend oregon. He had real integrity, that motherfu**er, and he tought me how to clean a portapotty.

as far as fellow roadies go though I think the last time I ran into a couple on the road that I liked it was january 2013 and the ride I hitched picked them up just a few miles down the road from where I was. It was my first time hitching, but they turned out to be probably the coolest traveling kids I've met since, and I miss them time to time. I miss them very much, actually. They were headed to ashland, and I was headed to LA so we split up in Medford, OR. I wish there were more kids like mike and jane. One can only hope to meet some more of those in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads