How do you keep your mind from going insane?

Cirno9

Reaction score
Personally I just explore the city bits that are walkable so anything within 15 miles and if I am still in a city after I explored it all I well.. fuck around on the net or drink or I try to meet other travelers but I dont go to popular destinations which is why im looking forward to NOLA. traveler halloween party yalls.

Dmac

Reaction score
i will usually listen to my cheap radio or read something. i generally have a book with me, but news papers and such are easy enough to find. walk and explore the area, people watch, drink, dumpster, fly a sigh, drink and smoke.

Reactions: Bedheadred
D

Deleted member 2626

If your on the move sanity is easier to find. People being the way american people can be is what gets to me usually for a few minutes but then I realize I can go elsewhere or head high high into the hills. That answer lays a lot but is not often answered itself

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
As Cirno said, exploring the city. Chilling with a beer or cider somewhere nice. Relaxing. Again exploring the city. Meeting people, talking to strangers. Makings friends. Again chilling with a beer or cider somewhere. Changing socks and shoes cause feet hurt. Exploring the city again and drinking some beer or cider. Hanging up with people just met. Having a good time with them and a few beers or ciders. :)

Like that was my last (and also first) trip backpacking ...

::drinkingbuddy::

Disclaimer: please don't do that at home. I'm a professional whatever. i don't endorse drinking K cider at 9am or alike.

Was fun anyway ... :D

skitter

Reaction score
Take up a new hobby. I juggle now in addition to being able to play ukulele. I am getting pretty good at crossword puzzles now too, and I read a lot more.

Handicrafts/hobbies that are portable and useful for your lifestyle is win/win. Embroidery, wire wrapping/jewelery, playing music, knitting/sewing, rope making, drawing/writing, dumpster diving. Find something you enjoy and do it~

I also have an old smartphone for some internetting, a nintendo ds lite for some vidya, and lots of magic: the gathering cards. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Anagor

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I keep moving. I like to meet people, and I meet the most people when I am in motion.
Other than that, I read as much as I can. When I started living as a tramp, I started asking more "in-the-system" types about what they'd do if they had as much time as I have, and virtually all of them have said "read", which seemed telling, so I prioritize it.
It also might sound dumb, but I talk to myself a lot. Vocalizing my ideas and experiences makes them easier to process, so I get more out of the things I do.

Art101

Reaction score
This time of the year its tough as its starting to get grey and dingy. I read a lot like 2-3 books a week. I tend to become antisocial at these times myself so things like this help also. Try meditating however you see fit. Seems to help me ground. Remember booze is a depressant. Talking to yourself is good I think everyone does. Its what you respond with that can be scary lol. Just try and find the joy in it.

Reactions: Kal

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
charles-bukowski-tshirt_design.jpg

agreed with talking to yourself. Just so long as you can keep it above a whisper, because when you start whispering or muttering the dialogue the line between thinking and saying it begins to blur and that is I think what you want to avoid. Plus you really sound crazy. So, maintain volume, and watch language around women and children!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal and Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I must agree with Mr. Bukowski.
Otherwise... I can only suggest drink and write... put the insanity down on paper.

D

Deleted member 2626

I talk a lot to myself. How can't you answer? You can answer as long as you can distinguish a difference. I'm sure people think it's weird to even talk to a dog in public which I do. I've seen yuppy dog owners embarrassed in public because of their dogs. I talk to them like humans usually especially my mutt. And we'll said Odin yes save your mind.mumblings for paper. Makes good reading for when your dead or disappear and future family finds it. And awesome bukowski shirt, lots of people hated him as with any writer but that guy had some good insights and realized things no one else could. He spent a lot of time down and out, drunk and traveling.

Kal

Reaction score
Explore the city or town you are in, go to the library, try to make new friends and as for talking to your self as long as you know you are doing it.

Kal

Reaction score
charles-bukowski-tshirt_design.jpg

agreed with talking to yourself. Just so long as you can keep it above a whisper, because when you start whispering or muttering the dialogue the line between thinking and saying it begins to blur and that is I think what you want to avoid. Plus you really sound crazy. So, maintain volume, and watch language around women and children!
I like the shirt where did you get it.

J

Johnny P

Explore. Look for squats and other cool abandoned shit. Watch trains. Mark train cars. Hang out at a park or in the woods. Walk to wherever I may be trying to get to. Read. Play mandolin. Play harmonica. Sing. Fly a sign. Drink Beer. Dumpster Dive. Take pictures. Get stoned (when available). Write. Look for water, bathroom, place to charge phone, etc. Talk to home bums. Try to keep busy in some form or another. When I'm on the road it's a constant movement to somewhere usually anywhere or nowhere in particular with all the stuff above thrown in between.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
sucks when the night comes and its cold or dead in the place you are..i used to stay up at night and sleep during the day in some places..for safety...youve got to find what you are looking for i guess..put your mind to it and youll find it..noone is truly ever 100 percent happy (there is no up without down) unless you do nothing at all...or become so centered that you find what everyone is looking for...good luck

Reactions: Indi The 8
Reaction score
As Cirno said, exploring the city. Chilling with a beer or cider somewhere nice. Relaxing. Again exploring the city. Meeting people, talking to strangers. Makings friends. Again chilling with a beer or cider somewhere. Changing socks and shoes cause feet hurt. Exploring the city again and drinking some beer or cider. Hanging up with people just met. Having a good time with them and a few beers or ciders. :)

Like that was my last (and also first) trip backpacking ...

::drinkingbuddy::

Disclaimer: please don't do that at home. I'm a professional whatever. i don't endorse drinking K cider at 9am or alike.

Was fun anyway ... :D

does sound fun :)

• Useful
Reactions: cultofsam

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads