How do you get over the fear?

lone wolf

Reaction score
sounds like you're looking for places to sleep. listen, just look on Google maps, see where the large parcels of woods are, then just go there and camp, pretty simple bro.
yeah, you will be pedaling through the night if you don't know where the woods are.

i been considering biking it also. well originally i was going to work and save for a van but my lazy ass hasn't made it to work in 3 weeks, lol.

do you have any pictures of your loaded gear? just curious how much you were carrying. i think if you can get by with 2 small backpacks saddled over a rear bike rack and a rolled up sleeping bag, tent/tarp on the rack then it should make your travel a bit easier. a small basket or small cooler on the handlebars would also give you some storage space.

Last edited:

Psylock1045

Reaction score
This is my stuff unloaded. Despite everything, I decided to come home for a day. Something just clicked in my mind and told me it was time to go. And then I had a friend offer me a ride from PA down to Hunt Valley, MD, where i started, so I got in around 12:45 this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 251

Psylock1045

Reaction score
Well that wasn't supposed to post yet, lol. Anyway, i'm gonna unpack, ditch the excess, take care of my blisters and let my sore mucles rest for a day, do some laundry, and very likely head back out tomorrow with a MUCH lighter load.

lone wolf

Reaction score
i like the buckets and i hope you didn't have the backpack strapped to your body. it will be a much easier more enjoyable ride if you can secure everything to the bike

Reactions: fernfern

Psylock1045

Reaction score
i like the buckets and i hope you didn't have the backpack strapped to your body. it will be a much easier more enjoyable ride if you can secure everything to the bike
I did have the backpack on me. Part of the reason I needed to come home and unload, the backpack was probably 30-50 lbs by itself. I think I should have a much better idea of what to and not to do/take this time.

lone wolf

Reaction score
I did have the backpack on me. Part of the reason I needed to come home and unload, the backpack was probably 30-50 lbs by itself. I think I should have a much better idea of what to and not to do/take this time.
sounds miserable... i don't even like riding to the store with my pack on my back.

we do get better with experience. your next trip should be much easier

Reactions: Mankini

Psylock1045

Reaction score
See i'm the opposite, I hardly ever go anywhere without my backpack and my bike. I feel naked without them.

Kye

Reaction score
Speaking of fear... Since early June, I have been planning on spending a few weeks traveling this summer. As the time to leave approached, I started to get a little nervous for various reasons and found some creative ways of procrastinating for the past week. I had a few drinks tonight, and was drifting to sleep with a solid buzz when the sounds of nature through my open window inspired me to get up and get ready. Now it's the middle of the night, I'm doing laundry, and getting ready to hit the road tomorrow.

Realistically, tomorrow night, I will be trying to fall asleep and thinking "Why on earth am I doing this? I could be in my bed right now!" but the morning after I'll be so glad that I finally got out on the road again.

Wish me luck as I get back out there, and tell my fears to suck it (or at least try to)!

Venatus

Reaction score
I did years of research and thinking before i made my move, and when i first started the lifestyle i was scared, but you just have to take your time, remember that unless things are looking really bad, your not going to die. if you can sit in a mcdonalds and think, your fine, but also keep in mind that at this stage you shouldnt push yourself too much, or do anything your too uncomfortable with. for example in my early days i could not survive without a tent, now adays i can sleep in any position, and i seldom need anything but a thick coat or sleeping bag to keep me warm.

Reactions: Anagor
D

Deleted member 13433

The cat a couple of comments above nailed it: it's important to really think these things through before venturing out and about.

Make sure this is what you want to do.
Also, can you go back if need be ??

It's also - to me anyway - important to have some sort of goal: where you want to end up, what your needs are now vs in the future.

[*and when I mean where - I don't necessarially mean a specific place - but what would you like to have near by where you eventually wind up or what is it that you are looking for]

Right now, I'm living the straight life - full time job in a factory, paying the mortgage - but 10 to 15 years out from now - once it is just me, meaning all my animals have been laid to rest, family... as I am the end of the road there, I'm outta here.

I'm gonna totally disappear - sell, give everything away - and right now the dream is head out towards the Canadian side of Lake Superior or perhaps by some other Canadian lake where I can set up camp - but more than likely it will be northern New England or maybe way upstate NY if I can find a remote enough place meaning no people - I don't want to see any people - just wilderness, animals... and a nice big lake [hence Canada!!]

But again - I'm still in the planning stages now - planning and preperation, including getting - and thinking through - everything I'll need including researching all the laws on wilderness camping, as my defect is I play by the rules meaning I ain't gonna set up camp where I'm not allowed to.

Hey listen, your signature mentions something about mental health issues - you might want to make sure someone you trust and care about [who also feels the same about you] knows what you are up to.

I know this sounds dumb but things change real quick when going it on your own - no matter what path you take.

It's not a bad idea to have someone who can help you out if need be.

Good Luck !!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads