How do you find friends/conversation on the road? | Squat the Planet

How do you find friends/conversation on the road?

cherryb0mb

Reaction score
Man, idk where else to put this. I’ve been on the road for some time. I’m antisocial by nature, very introverted. Rarely do people approach me and I’m getting lonely of it. I want to say something when I see someone but I don’t. People drive by laughing together in their cars and it stings. I find myself thinking about eye contact i made with someone two weeks ago. One brief conversation with someone (rare) is enough to make me damn near cry. I just don’t organically know what to say to people and everyone seems so clean and different. Anyone else experience this? Idk

WanderLost

Reaction score
Maybe next time you see someone interesting just walk by and give them a compliment and/or ask them a question. Some people are very talkative and if prompted will talk your ear off.

Don't think about it before you do it, cuz that'll probably just fuel your anxiety. What do you have to lose if it falls flat after all?

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I've met a ton of folks on StP! Maybe try to meet up with some people on here if you're passing thru where they're at

Also, when passing thru places, especially small towns, many locals would love for you to find the hidden gems of their area, if you ask about your specific interests -- hikes, scenic overlooks, lakes, book stores, etc -- many locals would love to tell you more about where they're from or what they love about where they currently live. People at diners, bars, thrift stores, parks and other kind of relaxed spots would probably be likely to engage with you.

oh also, at free camp spots, you can find yourself camping near other like-minded folks who may also be traveling like you, maybe try asking someone with a faraway license plate camping nearby where they're headed or what route they're coming in from!

Hope you can find some connection out there, the road can def be lonely at times but a lot of folks are feeling the same!

FawnGone

Reaction score
I just find the loudest bum pile and introduce myself and sit down. I'm actually pretty introverted too, but I realized a long time ago that it is smarter and safer for me to at least make an effort to be outgoing and find like minded people.
Good luck, though. It's hard sometimes. Dirty kids tend to gravitate to other dirty kids and are usually curious and friendly, at least in my experience.

Reactions: WanderLost
D

Deleted member 23509

Man, idk where else to put this. I’ve been on the road for some time. I’m antisocial by nature, very introverted. Rarely do people approach me and I’m getting lonely of it. I want to say something when I see someone but I don’t. People drive by laughing together in their cars and it stings. I find myself thinking about eye contact i made with someone two weeks ago. One brief conversation with someone (rare) is enough to make me damn near cry. I just don’t organically know what to say to people and everyone seems so clean and different. Anyone else experience this? Idk
Your not alone...

Reactions: Cheeseburger

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@cherryb0mb at the risk of sounding like im self-promoting, you might considering coming to the dirty scouts jamboree this august. it would provide an easy opportunity to meet some seriously like minded folks in an environment where everyone else is kinda doing the same; make some friends, learn some new things, etc. We definitely frown upon anyone talking down to others for lack of knowlege, it's a really safe place for getting into this big ol world of travel and meeting others doing the same.

Reactions: Elodin

Bibritt

Reaction score
By being present , and comfortable in your own space . Anyone who is trying to make friends wont. Like attract likes , be yourself . Just walking around in NYC i bump into randoms all the time that i chat up - the universe has a way of attracting things good and bad , i notice when i have shitty energy - WELP .. i end up around negative situations and people . Its that simple

Souljuice76

Reaction score
Cherry bomb you are not alone. I've felt that way when traveling alone. It stings when you are out there by yourself with no one to talk to and you see other people having a good time together

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads