Hitching/freecamping in Cape Cod?

timeeeee

Reaction score
I'm considering a stp-style hitching/freecamping trip in Cape Cod with a friend. If it was just me I'd go an find out through trial and error but my friend has a lower risk threshold so I wonder if this is a terrible idea.

My goal is 5 hikes, 16 miles total, but with some transportation necessary in between. We can look respectable so my hunch is that in most places we could get rides but I've never been to Cape Code so I wanted to consult the wisdom of the people. Assuming that we've already worked out transportation to the start point and from the ending point...
  • What's the risk of real conflict with law enforcement?
  • Will freecampers with minor-to-moderate experience find a place to sleep, or is that a losing game?
General tips about the culture and geography would be welcome also.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: ali

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it sounds like you already have your destinations (the hikes) set up, but id maybe suggest looking at the alltrails app for useful info. also, it might be worth doing some research on hitchwiki if you're trying to find info about where to hitchhike between those spots.

What's the risk of real conflict with law enforcement?

I'm not familiar with that area in particular but I imagine it's about the same, I'd check to see what local hitchhiking laws say but as long as you're not on the highway proper, I think you'd be fine.

Will freecampers with minor-to-moderate experience find a place to sleep, or is that a losing game?

I mean, as long as you're stealth camping, you should be fine. Again, I'm not familiar with that area, but if you're doing a bunch of hiking I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to just walk into the wood somewhere and make a modest camp to sleep for the night.

I'd look at google maps' satellite view and research the area that way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads