Hitching a Boat Across the Atlantic from West to East

CryptoQuipto

Reaction score
I'm interested in hitching a ride across the Atlantic on a boat. I've read extensively on the feasibility of the subject when it comes to crossing from Europe to the Caribbean, but nobody seems to talk about the opposite. Does anybody have any kind of experience with sailing across the Atlantic from the US to Europe?

Is my best bet the Caribbean? Or are there better ports on the US mainland for hitchhikers that sail across the Atlantic?

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First off welcome to STP.

Next we have a neat search function.
It's the magnifying glass icon across from you name and mail/alerts.

This is a site with a lot of information and we encourage users to do a search through already posted material before creating threads.

I know its often futile to mention as it seems to be newbie nature to want to be spoon fed.
Can you feel the sarcasm? ::eyepatch::

Anyway. Having said that.

Here is a link to one of those threads. Did ya a favor and pulled one off a search for "sailboats".

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/...ons-and-paid-jobs-on-boats.18946/#post-141545

Go ahead and try the search yourself... there are more threads.

From my time here on STP I have seen people ask this exact thing before and "hitching" a boat ride seems less likely.
No one is going to take on the liability of dead weight so I don't suggest looking for a "Scot-Free" ride across the ocean.

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
From my time here on STP I have seen people ask this exact thing before and "hitching" a boat ride seems less likely.
No one is going to take on the liability of dead weight so I don't suggest looking for a "Scot-Free" ride across the ocean.

that's very true, although what you can do is apply for crew positions. you'll need to have a passport and all that stuff of course. check out the links in the thread @Odin linked to. and like he said, use the search next time :D

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads