Hitch-hiking Highway 101

paterdot

Reaction score
I had to walk through sausolito , that was a bore, tried to walk the golden gate bridge at 3 am, got a pig ride across. Hit a bus from San Rafael to half boon bay. Made some good love to a stranger on the beach. I had an all in all kick ass hitchhike on the 101 . 10-10 doing it again

paterdot

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the max lines (whatever they are called in Cali(I'm pnw raised)) are HEAVILY patrolled , make sure you have fair. I still have a warrant for that -.-

paterdot

Reaction score
Wait, cops can smile? When did this happen? Next they'll develop basic human compassion.
Believe it or not, the most respectful pigs are on the west coast. I'm talking polite, manners, and general concern. We had one kick us out of a wildlife preserve, then turn around and kick us 65 bucks to get out of the rain....

tacopirate

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the max lines (whatever they are called in Cali(I'm pnw raised)) are HEAVILY patrolled , make sure you have fair. I still have a warrant for that -.-

The max, eh? When I lived in PDX I would take the max to beaverton every day with no fare. Never caught, but close. Did it for about 2 years. I guess I was lucky because all my friends have been arrested doing it.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The 101 will be my first hitching experience in about a month from now! I'm super stoked and appreciative of all this advice

Right On! Can't go wrong with the 101. You will have a blast. If you need any info, I'm sure many people on here will glad to help. Pretty popular route.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Believe it or not, the most respectful pigs are on the west coast. I'm talking polite, manners, and general concern. We had one kick us out of a wildlife preserve, then turn around and kick us 65 bucks to get out of the rain....
Well it hasn't always been that way. Seems like the wake of recent police brutality across the country and in Cali have got them thinking twice. Also California doesn't like trump and the police are supportive of those types of non violent protests.

Reactions: Coywolf

rocket potato

Reaction score
where in san rafael do you suggest exactly? it's getting dark, so i only spent 30 minutes on Mission Ave- gonna try my luck again tomorrow, but i have a feeling most people going north aren't going too far since they're coming from in-town... (trying to get to arcata)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
where in san rafael do you suggest exactly? it's getting dark, so i only spent 30 minutes on Mission Ave- gonna try my luck again tomorrow, but i have a feeling most people going north aren't going too far since they're coming from in-town... (trying to get to arcata)

Dude, spange up some cash and buy a $10 ticket up the bus line to cloverdale. It's totally worth it, and most of the people outta cloverdale are heading to Willits or Eureka, easy hitch. Use the ramp neat McDonalds

blue ant

Reaction score
Florence, OR, west of Eugene, sucks to hitch south out of. There's a huge forest preserve just past the South edge of town, and what little space there is between town and the state park has narrow shoulders and bad visibility due to shade and winding roads. You just ain't gonna get seen there. Took me seven hours of sign-flying for someone to notice me (hitchhiking virgin, she was adorable).

The things people say about Crescent City are more or less true. I got a ride out pretty quick, but that was mostly luck. (Shoutouts to Carlos the Candyman, who got me all the way down to Castroville and let me meet his family the next morning.)

blue ant

Reaction score
Also, a word on Gold Beach, on the South Oregon coast. For one, there's an absurdly comfy bookstore there where you can stock up on reading material (though there's not a lot of books for hitchhikers) and the beach is the best on the South Oregon coast.

I hitched out of there relatively easy by thumbing at a shoulder just past a holiday inn or something similar, but I also heard a horror story of a guy who was stuck there for 5 days before eventually getting out by stealing a car. Further data is required.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads