Historical discrepancy about Welsh gypsies?

Dagonshucks

Reaction score
I was looking at a search engine and couldn't find anything about Welsh gypsy graffiti. I had read somewhere on the internet that they invented graffiti. Could it be that search engine results predict a historical annexation of Welsh gypsy culture? Does anyone have any old books on the matter?

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
The word graffiti was actually coined by historians excavating the ruins of Pompeii. So the practice certainly predates Gypsies in Wales; probably predates the Romans.

That being said, I'd love to learn more about Welsh Gypsy graffiti.

Irrelevant, but entertaining, examples of graffiti scrawled on walls in Pompeii:

(on the wall of a bar/brothel) Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

(in a house, below a drawing of a man with a large nose) Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this.

(in the basilica) Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?

(Bar of Athictus; right of the door) I screwed the barmaid

(gladiator barracks) On April 19th, I made bread

Source

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads