Historical discrepancy about Welsh gypsies?

Current Location
Milwaukee, United States
Reactions
64% 7% 30%
I was looking at a search engine and couldn't find anything about Welsh gypsy graffiti. I had read somewhere on the internet that they invented graffiti. Could it be that search engine results predict a historical annexation of Welsh gypsy culture? Does anyone have any old books on the matter?

Current Location
Bar Harbor, United States
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
The word graffiti was actually coined by historians excavating the ruins of Pompeii. So the practice certainly predates Gypsies in Wales; probably predates the Romans.

That being said, I'd love to learn more about Welsh Gypsy graffiti.

Irrelevant, but entertaining, examples of graffiti scrawled on walls in Pompeii:

(on the wall of a bar/brothel) Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

(in a house, below a drawing of a man with a large nose) Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this.

(in the basilica) Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?

(Bar of Athictus; right of the door) I screwed the barmaid

(gladiator barracks) On April 19th, I made bread

Source

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kenn Lee General Banter 14
J Travel Stories 4