Hiddey Ho

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
A friend led me on to this website, and it looks pretty sweet, since Digihitch doesn't have it's shit together.
The name is Kate and I am from British Columbia, Canada. I have been in New Zealand 7 months now, hitch hiking
top to bottom, dumpster diving when I can (only in the cities really..) and being amazed constantly about the generosity of people when your a solo woman (or man) on the road. I take pictures, if your interested you can check em out here www.flickr.com/photos/gratefuldaze and Im coming home to the great north in July to start hitching from west to east Canada. If you have any tips or cool experiences about Canada, don't by shy to send me them, I'm really excited.

Cheers big ears.
Kate

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
damn, that's awesome. I really want to go bike through NZ. how was it there? i heard its pretty easy to find work and travel through there for months and months.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hey kate, welcome. are there places in BC you'd recommend? i'll be in those parts in july/august (if i'm granted entry into canada that is)

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
Yep, life is pretty easy in New Zealand, and I've seen plenty of bicycle cowboys on the road as well, looks like fun but I recommend thighs of steel for the all the steep hills and mountainous areas. Depends what island your on. Getting a job is easy if you don't mind shit work like scrubbing toilets or fruit picking, if you enjoy it, even better, because with the tourism so big and the harvests absolutely everywhere, thats mostly whats available. You can also volunteer plenty of places for accommodation, I'm sure most of you have heard of helpx and woof. But with there being Hostels/Backpackers in every small town, you can volunteer cleaning or managing and still get the same deal without being apart of those organizations. It's pretty sweet. I love it here.

hey kate, welcome. are there places in BC you'd recommend? i'll be in those parts in july/august (if i'm granted entry into canada that is)

Well judging you on your display picture, I'm going to say definitely go to Vancouver, obviously. Beautiful in the summer, most magical place. I live in Chilliwack, about 125km away, which is a nice shit hole of a town, worthy for exploring, and the islands are lovely. Depends on what you like. Okagnogan has tons of work in the summer fruit picking wise, but beware of the french! hahaha. But go to the Rockies if you can! They will break your heart and Banff is just my favorite place in the world.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads