Hi!

Magepalm

Reaction score
This web site is WONDERFUL! Just found it yesterday been up all night reading tons of informative posts! I'm living in central Arkansas, which um.... yeah sucks pretty hard. Thankfully not in the city at least now. I've been researching homesteading, off-grid living, self-sustainability, free-traveling, and lately how to get by being homeless with no social safety net to speak of and no car (been there before but I had a running car and EBT which helped tremendously). My parents stuck my ass in a group home that has ruined me on ever living in a shelter type environment.. I don't do being told how to live my life very well either so just not feasible. Fortunately I do have some cool folks out here to network with I've met at music/art festivals and through mutual friends. In my current situation I'm trying to grow and raise some food and do as much prepping as possible. I work my butt off constantly and when I'm not I'm researching. Biggest hurdle I've had is finding land... beginning to believe that's not going to be an option in my case anymore and is a waste of valuable time. Looking forward to hopefully many informative conversations and coming to know many wonderful souls!

Dahloaf223

Reaction score
I'm looking into homesteading too. I think it's hard to live communally unless there is some kind of common endeavor or trade people are working in. I worked on one farm in Northern Cal, with a good owner, but it was just short term. I hope to check out Alaska too someday, mainly to do small scale mining and see the epic nature. But who knows. Sounds like you are doing well, working hard gets you places. There is definitely ways to get cheap property if that's what you end up doing. I Want to find some cool work shops of festivals too in the future.

Edit: I realise this topic may be a bit off topic to this community, but I think the DIY off-grid aspect is definitely a vein that people are interested in, and is more of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magepalm

Magepalm

Reaction score
Yeah I had been noticing usually whoever funds any land doesn't want to do any actual work, which slows things down, and wants to force their personal lifestyle/diet on others and I'm just not a fan of all that mess lol. Definitely leaning more toward homesteading. Alaska would be cool! I'd be nervous of the extreme temps though but I think it would be a worthwhile risk! Yeah I've been trying to find ways, think I'm just going to have to rough it out and try to avoid any trouble til I can get on my feet. I love attending work shops too, always learn something new!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads