Hi!

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Hey folks. I think I just committed a message board misdemeanor by posting a question before intro'ing myself - sorry!

Anyway I'm Sarah and my boyfriend and I are glassblowers from the Hudson Valley. (Boyfriend is a second-gen glass artist and pretty well-known in this general area. If you're from here you might have met him as a teenager, he used to hitchhike in between Poughkeepsie and Woodstock, he had long hair put up in cute li'l Princess Leia buns.) I grew up in the Philly area and know some kids from this kinda community there, as well as Woodstockers.

I've spent a bunch of time abroad, working (as opposed to touristing) - New Zealand for two years, England for one, Wales for one, France for a summer. Also stints in Ireland and Spain. I would mostly do temp work for a few months, then travel, then more temp work. The USA has always been the holy grail for me mostly because "everyone" SWEAAAARS it's impossible to hitch here and that if you do you face certain rape, murder or both.

I plan on going solo for the most part (basically just east to west, no major set schedule or route), but anyone I meet along the way who seems super-cool I am totally down to travel with. Smoking? Cool! 420? Cool! I don't personally do either but I have spent most of my life around those who do, so. All good.

I guess obligatory disclaimer: I am bipolar, I have been stable for years, and I am organized enough to not run out of meds no matter where I am. LIFE SKILLS!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
OK - very cool intro Sarah :) I'm in the Rochester NY area and am very couch friendly if you get through here. :)

Reactions: Kal

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Thanks
Cool. Where you guys ever up at prism in troy? I used be posted up out there for a while.
Hey man - I've never been up to Troy but my boyfriend has. I just asked him about Prism and he hadn't heard about them specifically, but they seem to mostly make bongs and pipes and things and (surprisingly, lol) he doesn't really make stuff like that...he made one bong when he was 18 (he's 35 now), this goofy purple thing, and it's STILL sitting on consignment at the Sweetheart Gallery in Woodstock, haha. His biggest customer is Corning Glass further to the west. Other than pipe-makers, just because there's so many of them, he knows pretty much every blown glass person on the east coast.

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
what does he make 4 Corning Glass?
This is going to sound really weird but...glass pumpkins. Haha.

We have an Etsy shop called /LukeGilveyGlass. It may be down since we were bums about paying the fees this spring (our busy season is fall, for probably obvious reasons). The pumpkins are our bread and butter and pay the bills. People collect them etc. His other work, like vases, stemware and etc...are even more spectacular. We also make a line called Eternity Glass where we mix a small amount of cremains with the glass and make memorial glass sculptures, jewelry, etc. He worked for David Yurman's head designer when he was a teenager so he has good connects in that industry.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
But yeah he used to do demonstrations at the Corning Glass Museum...he's one of the top artists in his field for sure. Just have to brag on him lol. He's very talented. <3

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Oh and his family and him have a blowing studio and gallery in Beacon...called Hudson Beach Glass. If you're ever in the area. Lots of fun. We do lessons!

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Poughkeepsie is the literal worst.

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
We rode the rail trail today to the Walkway Over The Hudson for the first time and it was junkyards and swamp the whole way.

Did you know anyone who went to Poughkeepsie Day School?

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
New paltz is alright but fuck poughkeepsie so much
Luke dropped out in 9th grade to go camp out in the woods in the Catskills. That's basically everyone from PK in a nutshell.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads