Question Hi! trying to get from chicago --> nyc

fkb1995

Reaction score
yo, this is my first post here. Im trying to figure out the best way to get from the city of chicago to new york city. I dont got nothing to spend so im either thinking i should hop a freight train over there or get on a amtrak and somehow hide/ blend in for like 22 hours?
but idk im asking for advice on this bc i probably can do the freight train but i dont know much about any of the train routes and the timestables for it.

any advice?

Down and Out

-Dank- Down and Out press
Banned
Reaction score
Website
downandoutpress.org
Advice as someone currently doing the same thing would be to hitch it very slim chance you get on the right train also very slim chance since you don't know what you're doing to not get hurt or arrested. Lastly you need to make more posts to discuss trains on here and for good reason. And definitely don't try to outsmart or sneak on a Amtrak or greyhound you're much better off panhandling up the rather small amount of money it takes or calling some save a street kid hotline and have them buy you a ticket to ride anyway that's my advice be safe 0K!

AestheticTramper

Reaction score
Honestly, easier to just pan for the bus ticket. Hell, even flying a sign for the destination at an onramp or superstore at the edge of town will often elicit donations for the bus fare.

timeeeee

Reaction score
Based on my meticulous data, I wouldn't be surprised if hitching this takes a week or even more. I have a decent tent and keep to myself and I don't know anything about finding places to sleep otherwise, or if this would take you away from places where you can pan if you need to.

Anyone know much about hitching 80 in PA? I see a long stretch with no major cities, and I'm not sure if that would mean lots of short rides (slow) or higher proportion of long-distance traffic

very slim chance you get on the right train also very slim chance since you don't know what you're doing to not get hurt or arrested

Ditto what Down and Out said about this. Plenty of opportunities to end up in the middle of nowhere in the wrong state at some random-ass factory with no way out, if you get that far

easier to just pan for the bus ticket

... honestly this is probably safer and faster if you just need to get to NYC

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads