Hi there! | Squat the Planet

Hi there!

S

Shinners13

Just realized I've been putting this off for a bit. Don't know why, but I just have. Figured I might as well actually introduce myself now!

Hi! I'm 18, and I'm from a city in New York! Not THE city, but a city nonetheless. I plan on wandering once I'm done with welding school, which ends about 7-8 months from now. August, September, maybe October. One of those months! I sometimes ask myself why I don't just get up and go now, but I figured it's a good skill to have just in case something happens. Well, that and it costs a fuckton. Plus, COVID. AND I need to get my driver's license.

I plan on wandering for a variety of reasons. One, I'm an anarchist. Yes, We Live In A Society, but the way we are doing things isn't sustainable, and I'd rather be wandering than try to survive conventionally here. I'm also schizoaffective, which leads me to two more reasons as to why I plan on leaving! I actually wrote a whole paragraph here earlier, but I'll just sum it up those reasons in, like, two sentences. First, the US has shown time and time again that they don't care for or about lives of disabled people (Including mentally ill people). Second, discrimination against us is widespread and we're often forced to live in poverty because of it, along with other bullshit. Basically, I refuse to take part in something that actively fucks me over. Those are the main reasons!

I don't know too much yet, but since I have half a year or so, I think I'll be able to figure at least some of it out before I leave! I've been starting to dumpster dive, as well as learn some bushcraft-related things. Firestarting, knots, the works. I've also been learning to play the harmonica! I love the blues, it's really easy to carry, AND it's fun. I figured I might be able to busk once I Get Good, if need be!

Once I leave, I think I'll head southwest. Maybe, California, depending on how they're handling COVID, but just generally away from the north, especially the northeast. I'm still not sure, but I've got time to figure it out!

I'm happy to be here and meet you all! I hope you all have a great day!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
nice, welcome to StP! sounds like a good plan, i think it's wise to finish out the welding school. in the meantime you can plan your adventures, post-school and ask any questions you might need. let us know if you need anything and dont forget to use the search :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads