Hi there, I hope we'll meet | Squat the Planet

Hi there, I hope we'll meet

Fimdridil

Reaction score
Hi there,

My name is Jeroen and it is funny it rhymes with not having a clue what to do except walking. I have all my gear for a few years now, but I'm affraid to leave my little brother with autism. I don't have any friends here so that is no issue. I will leave anyway, just having a lot of trouble with sorting it out with him. Any tips?

Btw. I am from the Netherlands, near Utrecht. I always wanted to live a vagabond lifestyle, as a kid aswel. My parents never got me, I always ate cheap, enjoyed the cheap or free things and always talked woith every outsider I met. ANyone located in the Netherlands who would like to leave aswell? Kind regards

Bushpig

Reaction score
Is there someone else to help your brother out? If he's relying on you, it's pretty shitty to abandon him. But if your parents or some other responsible person(s) are there for him, you're probably okay.

I'm not an expert on autism, but bear in mind that it may be hard for him to understand why you're leaving.

Reactions: JackSquat

roughdraft

Reaction score
on one hand you feel compelled to stay with your brother, but on the other you have a penchant for knowing more of the outside world, evidenced by your interest in outsiders, and your ability to be into cheap food and such will help make your stay wandering much more feasible.

You're only young once and I really think you oughta go for it, assuming your parents will look after your brother sufficiently. I think, based on your post, that it isn't just a superficial interest, and so put yourself as a priority.

• Agree
Reactions: MFB

Fimdridil

Reaction score
Is there someone else to help your brother out? If he's relying on you, it's pretty shitty to abandon him. But if your parents or some other responsible person(s) are there for him, you're probably okay.

I'm not an expert on autism, but bear in mind that it may be hard for him to understand why you're leaving.

Im responding really late, some things got in the way.
Yes my parents are able to look after him more than sufficiently. They both work in mental carw facility's for the disabled so they have their heart and mind in the right places. He will have a really rough time understanding why, but maybe it'll set him a bit more "free" in his mind aswel. I want to thank you for your response. And will come back to it later this week when I've made a plan.

Bushpig

Reaction score
Im responding really late, some things got in the way.
Yes my parents are able to look after him more than sufficiently. They both work in mental carw facility's for the disabled so they have their heart and mind in the right places. He will have a really rough time understanding why, but maybe it'll set him a bit more "free" in his mind aswel. I want to thank you for your response. And will come back to it later this week when I've made a plan.
I don't know how severe your brother's autism is, but if you can sit down and explain it to him, I say go for it. Maybe take a few short trips and see if it's something you want to make a life of. There's no rule stating you have to abandon your old life and loved ones either. You can have adventures and keep in touch. You'll have plenty of free time and you can use some of it to call home and let your family know you're happy and safe.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I biked through Utrecht on my way south many many years ago, and I was extremely impressed by how many great bike paths there were going through the netherlands, i guess you could even walk them down to Belgium/France! I say get out on the road and have some adventures!

Also, keep a journal or take pictures, or both! You will seriously thank yourself 10+ years down the road.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads