Hi hi!

T

thekaleisnotforyou

Hi! I've been lurking for a little bit and decided to join STP!.. I'm currently in Toronto, Canada. Looking to buy a cargo van, turn it into a little stealth camper and hit the road with my dog for about a year, at least..

I've backpacked Cali for a few months in the beginning of 2014, and itching to go back out ever since, this time much longer. I'm making my way to Slab CIty in May, only for about a week right now to get the feel. Thinking about camping out there for a month or two during my year travel in the winter..

In the meantime, if anyone wants to make connections, I'm glad to! I'd love to even meet up with anyone in the Ontario area. I'm also pretty open for a travel buddy for my travels!

Advice is always greatly appreciated if anyone has traveled with a dog..

:)

T

thekaleisnotforyou

Welcome! When you come to the states, where do you cross into the U.S at? And what was your experience backpacking to Cali like?

I haven't picked a specific departure date yet. Pretty much when I get a van and have it renovated to my liking..

For my travels in 2014 I initially flew out to Cali. I like to cross at the Buffalo boarder in general though, never any hassle.

dannidirt

Reaction score
here whenever you need me :p

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
What's up sis! Sorry I'm 10 days late but hey :) Hows the hunt for a van coming along? Good I hope.

Traveling with a dog can be a bit tricky, especially in summer time. I think the number one thing to keep in mind (aside from always having kibble on hand) is the temp in your vehicle. Whenever you leave to go into a store or to hang out with others, or whatever it may be, if you are leaving your buddy in the van/truck/car always be aware of what the temp is outside, where you are parked (shade vs sun), and how long you will be gone. I try to only go into stores and stuff early in the a.m. or in the evening. The temp in your vehicle can become brutally hot, very quick, so always be mindful of it. I know I am stressing this point kinda heavy, but I know how devastated I would be if my little guy was hurt (or worse) due to my negligence. It is just so worth the extra worry to know that he is okay while I am away.

Aside from that, traveling with a dog is great! I love my little guy and I don't think I would have nearly as much fun on the road without him :) If you have other questions or whatever, just let me know.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Good advice @Leocalifornya I don't have a dog but I'd like to throw in another point of concern. If parking, your gonna look for a shady spot to help keep your furry friend comfortable. Be also aware of the area, if it is too secluded and what traffic and pedestrians pass by it.

It's worth the extra walk to the storefront to park in a good spot but be aware if your dog is somewhere secluded in an area that might have unsavory folks looking to take a pup.

Just what crossed my mind...

And welcome to @thekaleisnotforyou , dogs awesome love the expression with his roll eyes. heh

Reactions: Leocalifornya

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
Good advice @Leocalifornya I don't have a dog but I'd like to throw in another point of concern. If parking, your gonna look for a shady spot to help keep your furry friend comfortable. Be also aware of the area, if it is too secluded and what traffic and pedestrians pass by it.

It's worth the extra walk to the storefront to park in a good spot but be aware if your dog is somewhere secluded in an area that might have unsavory folks looking to take a pup.

Just what crossed my mind...

And welcome to @thekaleisnotforyou , dogs awesome love the expression with his roll eyes. heh
YES! Odin, totally! There are creepers out there who will snag your buddy, or break your window and "rescue" him from the "heat". Especially here in California, there are people who will automantically assume your dog is suffering in your car and totally bash your windows for the sake of "chivalry". It's the only reason I always turn on my car alarm when I walk away, to discourage dog-nappers and crazies. Great advice Odin..

T

thekaleisnotforyou

Good advice @Leocalifornya

YES! Odin, totally! There are creepers out there who will snag your buddy, or break your window and "rescue" him from the "heat". Especially here in California, there are people who will automantically assume your dog is suffering in your car and totally bash your windows for the sake of "chivalry". It's the only reason I always turn on my car alarm when I walk away, to discourage dog-nappers and crazies. Great advice Odin..

That is absolutely horrifying! I'm considering making him a service dog. If that all goes through then I'll just be able to have him with me at all times and not have to worry about those crazies. Thanks for the heads up though!!

Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice :) @Leocalifornya @Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads